Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 611121314
Like Tree94Likes

Help not wanted: Expats need not apply

Quote Originally Posted by Gatts
    Hoo boy. When talking about 2nd tier city people aren't talking how clean the lawns are kept in Xi'an, but that HK"s rule of law will be gone, that China's corruption will seep in every aspect of society, that people disappear from the streets (as is happening already to a small degree), that freedom of expression and information will become crimes, that food safety will be at the same abysmal levels as China, and I could go on and on...
    Corruption is in every city, every country. Depends on less or more obviousness of it. And whether they legalised the same principle.

People disappearing from the streets. That can happen anywhere. heard of the CIA? KGB? Mossad?

Freedom of expression and information - Edward Snowden. Sheltered in Hong Kong and then released by the Chinese. Of course, there are political brownie points. Rumors had it that CIA was ready to intercept. So what is exactly freedom of expression and information?

Food safety. I agree. It is shit. But there are opportunities to improve.

Given that there is a lot of things wrong with China, there are also a lot of things right with China. No country is perfect.

Things can change in a moment - get a good administrator in and the country progresses. Get a shitty one and the country turns into crap.

How many of you guys on here have actually lived in China? I live there about half the time and it's really not particularly different from living in HK other than my apartment is 3 times the size. I don't feel oppressed or unsafe.

greenmark likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by si0001
    How many of you guys on here have actually lived in China? I live there about half the time and it's really not particularly different from living in HK other than my apartment is 3 times the size. I don't feel oppressed or unsafe.
    I've lived in Shenzhen. The fear of oppression is nonsense. Just don't express strong anti-government views in public and you'll be fine. I never understood the urge to go to someone else's country and talk garbage about their government.

Being in Shenzhen is like being in the Hong Kong of the 1980s...except watch your things for pick pockets and be wary of pimps stalking you in certain areas.

You're far safer in Shenzhen than in London or New York City.
    Last edited by nathanroad; Today at 01:20 PM.

Lived in Suzhou for 8 months. No repression seen. People were pretty much nice. Locals will ask me what I thought of their city.

Shitty driving - I will support any form of government repression on driving. Not unusual to see a driver going in the opposite direction against traffic flow back then. FML. Some shouldn't even have cars.
    Last edited by blackwings; Today at 01:47 PM.

Mat

Gatts is a bit too extreme in one way but you guys are also too extreme the other way round ---- soon China will be a paradise where half naked girls welcome you with flowers...

right.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat
    Gatts is a bit too extreme in one way but you guys are also too extreme the other way round ---- soon China will be a paradise where half naked girls welcome you with flowers...

right.
    There are places you can go if you want half naked girls to welcome you with flowers
    blackwings and hullexile like this.

There are places you can go if you want half naked girls to welcome you with flowers
    Flowers?
    Dude, Australia have advanced. Meter maids help you to refill parking time.
    http://i.dailymail.co.uk/i/pix/2015/...9419850864.jpg

Better than greetings. They save you from a parking fine.

Page 14 of 14 FirstFirst ... 611121314