Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By bobly

US law grad in HK

Closed Thread

US law grad in HK

I just graduated in 2016 and passed the NY Bar, and am looking for job in hk. Does anybody here have similar exp or any advice i could use to find a job in hk. I've been sending my resume to all the international firms in hk but nth good. I speak canto & mando and I graduated from a T20 with slightly below median gpa. any advice would be helpful. Thanks

Without a few years experience, I think your chances of getting a job at a law firm in HK are pretty small.

There's not much demand for US lawyers in HK to start with and the demand will be for experienced lawyers.

So either you need to qualify for HK. Or you need to look for non-law jobs.

Give a call to some of the recruitment firms:
    Legal jobs | Michael Page
    Taylor Root Newly Qualified - Asian legal recruitment

Were you originally from HK?

If yes, you should have heard the amount of related jobs and number of people with similar background in HK already before you came back.

Quote Originally Posted by ivankinghk:
    I just graduated in 2016 and passed the NY Bar, and am looking for job in hk. Does anybody here have similar exp or any advice i could use to find a job in hk. I've been sending my resume to all the international firms in hk but nth good. I speak canto & mando and I graduated from a T20 with slightly below median gpa. any advice would be helpful. Thanks
    my friend did the same 7 years back. if you are really literate (reading, writing Chinese), then your chances just went up a lot more. If you mean "conversational" canto/mando, fuggedabutit.
    if you couldn't make the cut with international law firms, try: more regional/local firms, inhouse, internships (if u can afford it). you're in the catch 22 hell of "no experience, but need experience". good luck.

where did you do your summer internships? that should have been your ticket. try cold-calling. if you can sell yourself (a talker), you can talk your way into a job.. i know some folks like that.
    shri likes this.

Thanks for all the feedbacks guys. Just to update y’all , I ended up finding my self an in house role in Japan ... unbelievable