Like Tree8Likes

Entry level teaching/salary questions...

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Lightbulb Entry level teaching/salary questions...

Hey everyone, just got a few questions. Sorry I do not have much input as i'm new in Hong Kong.

1) Whats the current going rate now? say for 40 working hours/week and you have to travel to different locations.

2) For Bonus, is it weird that it does not state any clause but just depending on performances?

3) Anyone getting weekend allowances/travel allowances stated in their contracts?

4) Also, for expats are employers suppose to provide medical insurance or do we get that ourselves? I've looked on the immigration website under GEP and it says remuneration package should include income, medical and other fringe benefits.

5) For probation period (say 3 months), through my understanding if you quit during probation period there is no penalty and no need for notice? But after probation period you either give 1 months notice with no penalty or agree to pay the required period of notice.

6) Are employers allowed to request an earlier start for training or work when the visa application is still pending? I'm pretty sure that's illegal but just want to be sure if that's a norm here.

7) Any leads on TEFL/CELTA courses would be much appreciated! Current courses in HK as I've seen cost 21k-25k for 1 month.
    Have already looked at The Edge, TEFL Hong Kong, English for Asia and Train the Teacher.

Thanks!

Hello Moonbearz,

I will try and answer your questions based on my own experience and in order.

1.) This really comes down to the qualifications you have as well as experience. There are so many variables that will effect this it's difficult to give you a number. I think the way I would look at it is this: 8 years ago, I was making roughly HK$20'000 for working the same amount of hours minus the travel. I think it would be advisable to ask for some kind of travel allowance and make sure that it actually covers your travel by going over the numbers. (if travel is really taking a lot out of your pay packet) In my experience, a lot of companies are reluctant to give this but it's worth a shot.

2.) Again, varies hugely. For example, I know some places give you 13th months salary (the 13th month is the bonus) but some companies do it differently. The fact that yours states (as do many) it is based on "performance" is like saying "we will give you a bonus if we feel like it". I wouldn't expect much out of this. In my experience, Hong Kong companies are always careful to make it seem like you will get something and hate dealing in absolutes. Also, the amount of work that you have to put in to get these "bonuses" might not be worth it. If they ask you to start doing classes for free and coming in on your days off, totally not worth it.

3.) In my 10 years here, I have never come across something like this. Again, this is just in my personal experience.

4.) The key word here is "should". Welcome to cowboy land. The law is very lax here. I think in terms of insurance, you will be covered by the company if you have an accident on company property but seen as though you mentioned that you move around a lot, I'm not sure you would be covered by this. In the time I have been here, there has only been one company I have worked for that provides medical. I think, in general, Hong Kong is a very "sort it out yourself" kinda place.

5.) All information is on the labour department's website. Labour Department - Frequently Asked Questions

6.) I am unsure as to the legality of it but it's completely the norm here.

7.) These are the main places I am aware of also. I'm afraid you just might have to pay up. When I did my TESOL course in the UK, it cost me over 1000 pounds for a 1 month intensive course. That's still probably cheaper than some of the courses offered today. Perhaps you could consider doing a distance learning TEFL course? Make sure you get one with a practical component though (some one comes to view your lessons in an actual class) as they are general viewed in a more favourable light.

Hope this helps!

shri likes this.

Thanks for your reply pinkishbuyer.

Wow! 8 years ago, the pay was already 20k for a 40hr/week. So I assume the current going rate would be higher?

I have a degree unrelated to education and thinking of doing a TESOL course. I was thinking if having a CertTesol makes a difference in the pay grade?

Also is it a norm here to negotiate the terms in the contract? Or tuition centers in HK are pretty set on their contract with no room for negotiation on terms.

It seemed pretty weird to me when i read the contract and many things are not written in absolutes, like the bonus part and I have to travel for several locations with no mention of travel allowances etc.. I thought a contract should be concise so both parties are covered but I guess not in HK.

Yes, I was already making $20k for working in a Kindergarten. I guess it just goes to show how much prices haven't changed in the local kindergarten seen at least. I wouldn't expect higher than that for entry level, but you certainly should be asking for more than that after a year or so of experience.

My degree is also unrelated to education but from my experience, most places are willing to take someone with a degree and a TESOL/TEFL certificate. If you are planning on staying in Hong Kong a while, it might be valuable to do PGCE (do your own research on this) which will open up international schools for you. That, in reality, is where the real money is. Alternatively, the NET scheme is another option too.

I think having a TESOL will improve you pay slightly but I don't think it will be drastic. I think in real terms it will just make you much more employable. Also, you should always ask for more than what you expect. Hong Kong employers will always cheap you.

In the time I have been here, I haven't heard of many people negotiating what's in their contracts. That's not to say that you shouldn't try, though. Most contracts here are horrid and written with no worker protection in mind. Again, I imagine in the international circuit, contracts are written with more professionalism.

I would advise you move out of tuition centres and try and get work with schools directly. I understand it is difficult but you should pursue this avenue because, at the very least, you will get better holidays and you won't have to travel around to multiple locations.

As I mentioned, Hong Kong isn't a place that deals in absolutes. Once you've been here a while, you'll begin to observe it.

Best of luck!

Quote Originally Posted by moonbearz:
    Wow! 8 years ago, the pay was already 20k for a 40hr/week. So I assume the current going rate would be higher?
    Nope, entry-level pay is mostly stagnant. 20K is still pretty much the standard for entry-level language centre work. You might be able to get a few extra thousand if you are very presentable or good with kids but that's about it.

As pinkishbuyer said, the decent money is elsewhere.

Lightbulb

I do realize the real money is at international schools and under the NET scheme. The minimum pay under the NET scheme if i'm not wrong is already 26k-30k and more if you teach secondary students.

Yes it does seem difficult to get into international schools and government schools without a teaching certificate or PGCE. Plus many schools and tuition centers are unwilling to sponsor a working visa and prefers hiring someone with HKID. Also, has anyone ever got rejected from a job because they can't speak Cantonese? or vice versa?

I've also read elsewhere that schools do not consider tuition center as experience? Is that true?

I do realize the real money is at international schools and under the NET scheme. The minimum pay under the NET scheme if i'm not wrong is already 26k-30k and more if you teach secondary students.
    The EDB NET scheme pay can be found here: NET Scheme - Remuneration Package

There are other ways to earn a decent wage as well. Some schools offer EDB NET pay for non-EDB NET positions if there is a specific need. Freelancing or setting up your own business can also be very lucrative.

Yes it does seem difficult to get into international schools and government schools without a teaching certificate or PGCE.
    Yes competition is high as are the required teaching standards. You will need to work hard to improve your experience and qualifications if you want to have a shot at these kind of positions.

Also, has anyone ever got rejected from a job because they can't speak Cantonese? or vice versa?
    Very rare in the English teaching field! In other fields, yes naturally it is very common.

I've also read elsewhere that schools do not consider tuition center as experience? Is that true?
    That's correct. However, it is possible to move from a language centre position to a local school position with a bit of hard work and a dedication to improving your skillset. It's especially important to form a good network of useful contacts. A lot of school positions aren't advertised widely and it's often not a case of what you know but who you know. Personal referrals can give you a decent advantage over the competition.

Thanks for your reply jmbf. Great insight and it seems you have plenty of experience in the education field.

Yes! Everyone says connection is one of the best ways to secure yourself a good job in Hong Kong. As im new I wont have any connections but will definitely keep this in mind and build it up along the way.

By the way, if the contract states no overtime pay and if they require you to work after your specified hours can we refuse or do people just suck it up and do as they're told? No idea why I have a feeling that it would be the latter over the former.

By the way, if the contract states no overtime pay and if they require you to work after your specified hours can we refuse or do people just suck it up and do as they're told? No idea why I have a feeling that it would be the latter over the former.
    I guess no one has responded so far as there are too many variables to give a definitive answer one way or the other. Some will 'suck it up' in order to maintain some level of professionalism and hopefully walk away with a decent reference letter. Others wouldn't. It is important to note that most entry-level gigs will require some compromises on your part.
    Fiona in HKG and chingleutsch like this.

Its the same with every job, whoever wants/needs more, has the leverage. Usually with entry level jobs, the employee "needs" the job more than the employer "needs" them. This means you go beyond what is required.

Although, bear in mind this also affects how the employer thinks of you. Im sure most managers will promote the person who is taking more responsibilities rather than the person who only does what is required and only within the hours listed.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast