Like Tree2Likes

Questions about teaching English

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

I'm unsure too ... I've queried it with the editors to see what I did wrong

It was redacted by the editors.

It's a good idea to check the restrictions on your visa regarding work. I'm here on a dependent visa so do have experience with other visa types

Your money will be tight if you don't have free or cheap places to stay.
    You will be left with amount similar to teaching in Mainland China, and eating in HK is 3 to 5 times more expensive than Mainland China. Entertainment like drinking are also expensive.

Also, there is no NHS in HK and most people goto private doctors except A&E usually goto a public hospital first.

This put many foreigners off unless their income is high.

I know from reliable sources Stamford American School Stamford American School - Hong Kong is looking for teaching assistants you might want to contact them. And if you don't mind working with special needs children I heard Bridge Academy is short staffed Bridge Academy | Hong Kong Special Needs, ABA, Early Intervention, HELP, VB-Mapp, Ablls, Leiter-3, Wechsler Nonverbal Scale of Ability.

@lighthse003

well we have been travelling and working in various countries for years now and have yet to use a doctor so the no nhs does not bother me. I wonder how all the numerous esl teachers survive without free accomodation.
    @mrsjones
    thanks for your input I will defiantly look into those.

Mrs. Jones likes this.

If your TEFL course is online, a lot of agencies and language centres won't touch you.

There is one "education provider" who runs (expensive) TEFL courses, so they probably won't want someone they see as inferior.

There are endless learning centres around, cavaet emptor working for them.

Thanks for that. I have a job starting on the 21st at a kindergarten now and my partner is starting at a language centre a week after. Our course is online but we don't see the point in paying for an expensive one when we are just coming for a working holiday visa for a year, this isn't a career we want etc just thought we would do something different for a year.

Quote Originally Posted by lighthse003:
    Also, there is no NHS in HK and most people goto private doctors except A&E usually goto a public hospital first.
    That's simply not true. The public health system here is comparable to the NHS for A&E and major chronic (diabetes, asthma, etc) issues; it is available to all residents more or less for free (minimal charges to stop time-wasters). The only bit that is different is that there isn't the local GP system that the UK has. There are public clinics but the waiting times are several hours; for an appointment with a GP you need to go private, but these are not hugely expensive so long as you avoid places which are focussed on people with more money than sense.
    chingleutsch likes this.

Questions about teaching English

Recently I got an English teaching job in Beijing with the help of "Teach In China" with also a good salary package So, should I join that job or not. Can anyone help me? I am looking for a good English teaching job with good salary.

Hong Kong is a few thousand kilometres from Beijing; I don't know how much relevant information you will gain on these boards. Suggest you head over to Dave's ESL Cafe and the China forums there.