Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By UK/HKboy

sick leave pay deduction

Closed Thread

sick leave pay deduction

Hi everyone,

I need advice. When I am ill, my employer deducts a certain hourly rate for each teach hour I miss from my salary? Is this legal? Thank you!

HK Labour law isnt that good, if you take like 1 day or even 1/2 day off sick and even with a doctors note your employer can deduct your salary or annual leave depending on your company policy.

to get sick leave here below is HK Labour law, also check what your contract says.

An employee employed under a continuous contract is entitled to sickness allowance if:

(1)
    the sick leave taken is not less than four consecutive days (unless for any day off taken by a female employee for her pregnancy check-ups, post confinement medical treatment or miscarriage, any such day on which she is absent shall be counted as a sickness day and, subject to the following conditions, be paid sickness allowance);

(2)
    the sick leave is supported by an appropriate medical certificate

The daily rate of sickness allowance is a sum equivalent to four-fifths of the average daily wages earned by an employee

Why are you sick? Haha. I never used sick leave when I was employed . But anyway, the policy for sick leave is you must be sick 4 days in a row with doctor note to be paid at 80% of your normal wage.

If your employer is deducting sick leave then they are a bad employer! Find a new job.

MandM is right. I have not heard of employers deducting pay for sick leave, unless the employee is really abusing it.

If they are deducting when you take a day off every year with a Drs note, then you probably don't want to be working for them for long anyway. if you are taking 1 or 2 days off every month, then sure i can see where they are coming from.

JAherbert likes this.