Like Tree9Likes

Working in HK without Chinese language

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Question Working in HK without Chinese language

Hi fellas,

I'm a MSc Business Management student at HKBU, and will be graduated in 2018, I also planned to have my career in HK after being graduated.

In order to know more about HK job requirements, I browsed several job postings, however, they required knowledge either in Cantonese or Mandarin, and I know none of them. Well I'm actually a Chinese who was born and raised in Indonesia, so I only understand English, and Indonesian.

With that kind of background, can I find a graduate job in HK?

Quote Originally Posted by louisuchiha
    I'm a MSc Business Management student at HKBU
    I think you should be able to join an internship program in the banking sector.
    I do not know if HKBU is accepted by all banks, and if banks recruit in this particular field right now. With that said, in an internship program you're supposed to rotate within a few positions anyway so perhaps not a big problem. At my previous shops, our business managers have rarely been locals.

If you are prepared to be mobile around Asia, then you could try the Graduate Training Schemes offered by the big conglomerates, especially the ones with Western origins such as Jardines and Swire, who are more likely to overlook the need for Chinese language. I know that Jardines is always on the looking for Bahasa speakers as they have big interests in Indonesia and Malaysia.

z754103 and gigglinggal like this.

Quote Originally Posted by jrkob
    I think you should be able to join an internship program in the banking sector.
    I do not know if HKBU is accepted by all banks, and if banks recruit in this particular field right now. With that said, in an internship program you're supposed to rotate within a few positions anyway so perhaps not a big problem. At my previous shops, our business managers have rarely been locals.
    thanks for the reply, I will try to find one from my campus

Quote Originally Posted by Scousebanana
    If you are prepared to be mobile around Asia, then you could try the Graduate Training Schemes offered by the big conglomerates, especially the ones with Western origins such as Jardines and Swire, who are more likely to overlook the need for Chinese language. I know that Jardines is always on the looking for Bahasa speakers as they have big interests in Indonesia and Malaysia.
    wow, this is interesting, i will find out more about this, thanks for your suggestion

Hi, did u already got a job? I'm from Indonesia too.

Don't be disheartened by the advertisements focusing on Cantonese/Mandarin proficiency. This might be true of local or Chinese outfits but the international companies will care less and be more interested in raw talent. The large number of Western expats in HK is proof that you can succeed here without being proficient in those languages.

kamoteboy911 likes this.

Every job I ever had in HK required Mandarin and Cantonese, too. Do I speak them in a business sense, no. I had to do some work on the mainland before, which is a shit show. But the rest of Asia is pretty legit and fun to work in, and English is sufficient.

HK is weird about job postings, here's a sample of what a typical job ad would say.

-------------

Looking for experienced professional with Law degree, medical doctorate degree, with 20 years experience in mainland China, Asia, HK, Europe and USA. The applicant must be born and raised overseas, only HK permanent residents shall apply, no visa sponsorship. Further the applicant must be willing to travel and work days nights weekends and holidays. The applicant must speak native English, native Mandarin, native Cantonese, native French, native German, and native Japanese. Provide your full CV, all work experience, work certificates and education certificates including your K1 and P1 records.

Apply now, will only respond if your salary expectation is lower than that of my domestic helper.

-------------

Yeah I'm exaggerating, but so are most of the job posts out there. Language is rarely a reason for not getting an interview, provided that you speak English is the bare minimum usually. Although many people get hired only speaking Canto with poor English too.

There are two senior colleagues where I work who don't know a syllable of Chinese, they can't read or write it either. Hasn't stopped them being paid more than me. I can speak, read and write.

Last edited by angeluscomplex; 30-10-2019 at 08:18 AM.
    Paxbritannia and Morrison like this.

Quote Originally Posted by louisuchiha
    Hi fellas,

I'm a MSc Business Management student at HKBU, and will be graduated in 2018, I also planned to have my career in HK after being graduated.

In order to know more about HK job requirements, I browsed several job postings, however, they required knowledge either in Cantonese or Mandarin, and I know none of them. Well I'm actually a Chinese who was born and raised in Indonesia, so I only understand English, and Indonesian.

With that kind of background, can I find a graduate job in HK?
    At your level, it's possible if you are a tier 1 candidate in certain fields but incrasingly fluent Mandarin is the preference. But ask yourself, if a person only speaks English in Indonesia, what are the possibilities? You will be at a comparative disadvantage IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC
    At your level, it's possible if you are a tier 1 candidate in certain fields but incrasingly fluent Mandarin is the preference. But ask yourself, if a person only speaks English in Indonesia, what are the possibilities? You will be at a comparative disadvantage IMO.
    Old thread, as it says in the quote you used they graduated two years ago.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast