I got Fired! Please Help Me

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

I got Fired! Please Help Me

Due to "work force reduction". I am a salaried employee but the company wants to settle my last check pro-rate using days instead of weeks? Worked one week in November then 2 weeks pay they grant so should be 3/4*Monthly salary but they are using 7/30 (fired last friday)* montly salary and then 14/30*montly salary. Yikes what to do?

Also I am enititled to accrued vacation pay right?

3/4 is 0.75. 7/30 plus 14/30 is 0.7. So you are losing 0.05 of a month's pay (around 1.5 day's worth). Is this material to you? If yes, just show this calculation to them and ask them to be reasonable given that you were a loyal employee and that this is a difficult situation all around. I think however that both ways of doing the calculation are reasonable so it may just be down to how nice they want to be.
    Yes, you should get holiday paid out. I would expect a notice period too (or pay in lieu of this) but I do not know what was in your contract - you should check. Others are better placed to know if there is any statutory minimum notice/redundancy packages. Good luck looking for a new job.

Quote Originally Posted by KelliC:
    Due to "work force reduction". I am a salaried employee but the company wants to settle my last check pro-rate using days instead of weeks? Worked one week in November then 2 weeks pay they grant so should be 3/4*Monthly salary but they are using 7/30 (fired last friday)* montly salary and then 14/30*montly salary. Yikes what to do?

Also I am enititled to accrued vacation pay right?
    Most companies calculate based on days rather than weeks - so the calculations are correct.

You are entitled to be paid for your accrued vacation days.

but the denominator should be the number of work days, not 30..
    i.e. if you work a 5 day week, then technically you can say your work month is around 22 days, and every week = 5 days.

Also my insurance was terminated immediately. Is this normal?

So you say the demnomincator should be total work days in November right. There are 20 work days in Nov, so think they owe me (7+14)/20 x monthly salary.

It sounds quite harsh, to terminate insurance immediately rather than at the end of the month, say, but not completely off. It sounds like your case is being handled by "admin" rather than a human being and this is what you end up with when they just follow "due process" and don't consider the people involved. Unfortunately not that unusually with big companies! I doubt there is much you can do about it.

Quote Originally Posted by KelliC:
    So you say the demnomincator should be total work days in November right. There are 20 work days in Nov, so think they owe me (7+14)/20 x monthly salary.
    No because you are using a 5 day week for the denominator and then a 7 day week for the number of days you worked. If you work a 5 day week - which you seem to to arrive at 20 working days in November - then it is 15/20 = 0.75.

The difference between what they are offering and what you are claiming is only HK$ 500 for every HK$ 10000 you earn per month. Is it worth all the hassle?

By the way - how long have you been at the job and what sort of contract did you have? I am quite surprised you are not getting a notice (or payment in lieu of notice) or, if you have been there some time, redundancy payments. This all assumes, however, that they really are making you redundant rather than firing you because you are no good - in which case none of the above may apply depending on the situation.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast