Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123
Like Tree30Likes

Applying for Primary School teaching jobs in Hong Kong

Sorry to slightly hijack this thread, but my wife is currently in the process of applying for some (international school) teaching positions aiming to start next year. Several of the application forms ask for “expected salary” but she has no idea what to put...

She has a 1st class Honours degree in Chemistry, a PGDip in Education and Learning, and 8 years teaching experience (UK ks3 and GCSE science, and A level Chemistry). Prior to teaching she spent 7 years working as a research chemist in the pharmaceutical industry. She has a valid dependant visa.

Obviously there is is a massive difference in salary/benefits between UK and HK so we have no idea what to put. Can we just leave it blank, or can we put something non-commital like “appropriate for experience and qualifications”???

Alternatively what sort of salary might a similarly qualified “new starter” in HK expect?

Last edited by Firemin; 16-11-2017 at 09:27 PM.

Take a look at the ESF pay scales and base it on that. Good science teachers (with an actual science degree) are hard to find so she can ask for a decent wage.

Quote Originally Posted by Firemin
    Alternatively what sort of salary might a similarly qualified “new starter” in HK expect?
    Given her qualifications and experience, I'd be asking for at least 60 - 65K / month as a basic salary. Then accommodation allowance, flights, subsidised education for dependents, bonus etc etc on top of that.

Quote Originally Posted by jmbf
    Given her qualifications and experience, I'd be asking for at least 60 - 65K / month as a basic salary. Then accommodation allowance, flights, subsidised education for dependents, bonus etc etc on top of that.
    wow, that’s quite a bit more than my basic salary! Maybe I can become her dependant!!!

Really appreciate all the advice and info!

Can anyone give information Discovery Bay International School? Working conditions? Pay/package for teachers ? Any information would be great !

Thanks

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123