Working part-time studying full-time

Closed Thread

Working part-time studying full-time

Hello

I have worked in Hong Kong for four years and I would like to do a teaching degree here. It is possible to study full time and work part-time on a visa? This would mean that I would pay local fees but be studying full-time?

Many Thanks

You have to check if you are eligible for local fees or not.

Most postgraduate degrees in HK nowadays are not public funded for local students unlike the past.

You don't need permission to work while studying if you have the Right of Abode or Right to Land.

You need permission to work part-time if you hold a student visa.

Last edited by lighthse003; 30-11-2017 at 05:11 PM.

Student visa holders can do some amount of work.

http://www.cedars.hku.hk/nonlocal/pd...timenotice.pdf

A word of advice: if you plan to teach outside Hong Kong, a Hong Kong teaching qualification isn't worth much. It's not valid for teacher registration in, say, Australia, because the practicum doesn't require the supervising teacher to actually be in the room while the student teacher is teaching. If you plan on teaching back home or beyond Hong Kong, better to look into programmes offered by unis from other countries that can be done online and allow the practicum to be done at international schools that offer that country's curriculum.

If you hold a student visa you are strictly limited to how much you can work.

Many Thanks for your advice.