Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2
Like Tree6Likes

English teachers working hours?

Some people seem to be equating classroom time to working time. That's wrong as teachers have a hell of a lot of other duties too.
    I guess 40-50 hours per week is pretty standard here.

Quote Originally Posted by Spiral Out
    Yeah, tell me about it. They have been getting more stingy over the last few years.
    There are plenty of options for teachers at international schools here in Hong Kong. With quite a few new ones openings, there is a strong demand for experienced staff.
    A week of paid holiday is beyond a joke. Unless the salary is incredible, look for another job!

At my International school, I am scheduled 8:30am to 5pm. My kids go home at 4:30. I usually stay until 5:15 or 5:30. Occasionally, I need to stay u til 6pm or come in on a Saturday. I get a week of paid leave in the summer when school gets out, but I can take as much unpaid leave as I want until the end of August when we have to come back to work. I usually take a week of unpaid leave so I have two weeks to go home and visit.

I need to find that place where I can work part time and make 35k/month. God damn
    so usually the summer holidays are unpaid leaves? Then you need a higher salary to even out the unpaid months...

Quote Originally Posted by duststar
    so usually the summer holidays are unpaid leaves? Then you need a higher salary to even out the unpaid months...
    I can't speak for other schools, but at mine, yes.

I can't speak for other schools, but at mine, yes.
    I hope you are on at least 80K / month in that case!

Spiral Out, if you are a qualified teacher, you're getting a very raw deal and could do much better elsewhere. Leave.

chingleutsch likes this.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2