Like Tree49Likes

Christmas Party - who pays?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Christmas Party - who pays?

The OH was a bit shocked to find out that he is expected to contribute $2000 to the office Christmas party. The company is a multi-national, large, not many expats. I've never experienced this before, the senior staff paying for the Christmas do for the whole company.

Is this a local thing? Hubby has only ever worked for British companies, who paid for any office-wide gatherings, this is his first experience of a non-British company (Head office is US). Anyone else have to cough-up for similar?

No, never. I'd find an excuse to bail out, unless missing showing your face will end up costing more in bonus or something...

SpeakCantonese and shri like this.

Unfortunately they expect him to pay regardless of attendance. The bonus, well no way to know, it's not a Bank so bonus isn't massive.

I wouldn't say this is out of the ordinary. The idea is that the senior staff makes all the money, so it's not a big deal for them to foot the bill. When I worked in a US-based MNC on a team of all locals, the bosses often paid for team events, and my impression was that this was expected, considering they probably made 3, 4, 5, or more times as much money.

This is consistent with the more rigidly-defined class lines in HK. Keep in mind that a lot of bosses have a need to remind those under them what the pecking order is, and paying for events is one way to do that. There are also those who embrace their roles as the little guy, taking full advantage and ordering the most expensive things on the menu.

I don't know where you're from, but HKD$2K is USD$256, which honestly isn't that much. Depending on the culture of the team and the company, how long your OH intends to stay, and what type of leader (note leader vs. manager) OH is, I'd probably just pay it to avoid causing any issues (besides, if OH likes his team, it's more like a gift to them). The pettiness of HK people cannot be underestimated, and I guarantee that people will remember if OH decides to take a stand.

Quote Originally Posted by kimwy66:
    The OH was a bit shocked to find out that he is expected to contribute $2000 to the office Christmas party. The company is a multi-national, large, not many expats. I've never experienced this before, the senior staff paying for the Christmas do for the whole company.

Is this a local thing? Hubby has only ever worked for British companies, who paid for any office-wide gatherings, this is his first experience of a non-British company (Head office is US). Anyone else have to cough-up for similar?
    Never experienced this myself, a company party is company funded. If it is an employee instigated party that would be different.

How do your colleagues fell about having to shell out for the party - same as you?

(FYI I have never had to cough up for the office xmas party. Even at smaller companies; we just had smaller, more modest parties)

at least you get an xmas party, our multi billion Euro publicly listed FRENCH company has NADDA, all our big executives have left HK already back to their homes abroad for the holidays LOL

during CNY we are asked to have dinner ourselves and claim back max HK$600 per staff.

Mrs. Jones likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by joyojc:
    The pettiness of HK people cannot be underestimated, and I guarantee that people will remember if OH decides to take a stand.
    Very true! trivial matters go to politics easily.
    Cwbguy, Mrs. Jones and Tyresmoke like this.

In my OH's company, (love Mumsnet terms!) department heads are expected to take their whole team out for a slap up lunch for which the head is expected to pay.

The annual company xmas party is paid for by the company. I have never heard of staff being asked to contribute for this.

P.S. Dept. heads are also expected to give red packets to all team members at CNY out of their own pocket.

shri, Fiona in HKG and JAherbert like this.

My old shop, company paid for Christmas party, but senior staff were expected to contribute to the lucky draw prizes. Towards the end of my time there they got our suppliers to be "sponsors" for the lucky draw prizes (which were crap). I however understand my old shop this year didn't have a Christmas party but a buffet lunch in the office.....

New shop, nobody is expected to pay, comes out of the company budget.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast