Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By shafiq

working visa

Closed Thread

working visa

Hello guys,

So I recently relocated myself to Hong Kong on a working holiday visa which allows me to work in Hong Kong for 6 Months.

Last week, I have done a great interview in a big company for a entry level position. but before getting interviewed by a manager who will be my future boss if i get hired, Hr department told me that they were looking for a candidate who can work there permanently.
    So, I got really frustrated and told her my working holiday visa would allow me to work for 6 months and afterwards you could decide whether to extend my contract. Then, She said, Okay but not happy about it. then lastly, I asked if this visa issue would be a barrier for me to get hired and she said 'actually, if the manager (future boss) really likes you and wants you after doing the interview, we can provide you a sponsorship.'

Then she left and after a while the manager came in and we did the interview for like almost an hour. the interview went successfully. she laughed a lot and was interested in me. she even introduced me her assistant saying that i could ask her anything. so, now my concern is would i be able to get an offer from this company? i mean the company is huge in terms of size and they hire a lot of locals and expats. but since the job position is an entry level and i heard that getting a sponsorship is really hard in here. I need some advice thank you...... I have a bachelor degree of commerce from the University of Toronto and 6 months experience.

If they want you, they will make it happen. Visa sponsorship rarely is an issue, the issue would be whether immigration would grant the application, so some new and smaller local companies or new and smaller foreign companies who try to do the application themselves might run into issues. Those experienced in getting visas, and those willing to hire an agency to do it for them, usually always get them approved. Cost is practically nothing -- something like HK$190 to get the visa label now. An agency might charge a couple thousand HKD, again nothing compared to what an H1 visa would cost in the states (USD$5k+).

Don't fluster over it -- you would appear as desperate and lessen your desirability. They either want you or they don't. Some inexperienced managers unable to tell you why they don't want you might cop out and use the visa as an excuse -- but again I highly doubt that is ever a problem.

thank you for the advice , now i am a little relieved.

Quote Originally Posted by ybkang92:
    Hello guys,

So I recently relocated myself to Hong Kong on a working holiday visa which allows me to work in Hong Kong for 6 Months.

Last week, I have done a great interview in a big company for a entry level position. but before getting interviewed by a manager who will be my future boss if i get hired, Hr department told me that they were looking for a candidate who can work there permanently.
    So, I got really frustrated and told her my working holiday visa would allow me to work for 6 months and afterwards you could decide whether to extend my contract. Then, She said, Okay but not happy about it. then lastly, I asked if this visa issue would be a barrier for me to get hired and she said 'actually, if the manager (future boss) really likes you and wants you after doing the interview, we can provide you a sponsorship.'

Then she left and after a while the manager came in and we did the interview for like almost an hour. the interview went successfully. she laughed a lot and was interested in me. she even introduced me her assistant saying that i could ask her anything. so, now my concern is would i be able to get an offer from this company? i mean the company is huge in terms of size and they hire a lot of locals and expats. but since the job position is an entry level and i heard that getting a sponsorship is really hard in here. I need some advice thank you...... I have a bachelor degree of commerce from the University of Toronto and 6 months experience.
    Though WH visa is for 6 month? Can you work for the same employer more than 3 months? You need to check that!!
    shri likes this.