Like Tree53Likes

Should we move to HK?!

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

To me those still sound like “hills to climb”. I haven’t heard any teacher in HK getting that high of salary unless you are a professor at a University. I still don’t think the handy man job idea is that lucrative for a foreigner. Like some have mentioned here maybe he can try and establish something with his knowledge of rugby. HK is a big rugby city. But still. They should maybe just do a trip to HK first to do a lot of research. Get more accurate details. Before actually moving there. Might help. Just a one/two week trip. First.

Kowloon Goon likes this.

70,000+?!

Yeah. That’s what I thought too. 70,000+?!
    Really?!

Teaching Staff: A 15-point pay scale* ranges from HK$460,320 to HK$805,500 per year.

English Schools Foundation Terms and Conditions - English Schools Foundation

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    Teaching Staff: A 15-point pay scale* ranges from HK$460,320 to HK$805,500 per year.

English Schools Foundation Terms and Conditions - English Schools Foundation
    70,000 a month is beyond the top of that scale or do other schools pay more?

You said you lived in HK before. So you know a fair bit already about HK. You almost certainly know all the downsides some of the others have proffered. Schooling IS an issue, but as others have noted, if you can get one with your job, no problem for you.

Housing is expensive. But there are cheaper options, you just have to decide what you are going to compromise on - space, location, money etc. Its not impossible. We all do it. I know a number of teachers, with children, who seem to thrive in HK.

Add me to the list of customers for the handy-man - I think that would find customers. Possibly not that well paid, but not impossible. Agree with others though - sports coaching may well offer better pay. So perhaps a bit of both?

At the end of the day, if you want to give it a go, give it a go. Whats the worst that could happen? You lose a year and go home? You will never know if you don't try.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    ESF basic top pay is 67K but that's before housing (approx 8K) and any TLRs (additional pay for taking on extra responsibilities which can go up to an extra 14K / month).

The ESF salary is just one data point. Some international schools pay less, some pay more. Some pay a lot more if you are looking at the top tier international schools.

So yes, an experienced international school teacher should be able to find positions paying that kind of salary.
    Last edited by jmbf; 15-01-2018 at 10:55 PM.
    hullexile, shri, MerMer and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hullexile:
    Teacher: A cash allowance of HK$8,050 per month + the range above

New Zealand has high cost of living, high taxation and low salaries. For pot-smoking hippy surfers it's great, for anyone looking to maximise their earning potential...well, Donald Trump used an appropriate word recently.

If a good teaching job is a possibility in Hong Kong, then go for it. If your husband is hard-working, he will find the opportunities to make a contribution to the family income.

Quote Originally Posted by GlennBond:
    To me those still sound like “hills to climb”. I haven’t heard any teacher in HK getting that high of salary unless you are a professor at a University.
    Quite a common misconception. While a significant percentage of teachers here fall into the "TEFLers" category, grinding it out for 20-30K in language centres and local schools, there is also a significant percentage of qualified and experienced teachers here earning much higher salaries. The EDB NET scheme, international school positions and freelancing (to name but a few) all provide opportunities to earn a decent income.
    shri and chingleutsch like this.