Like Tree17Likes

Feedback on my salary/job situation (App developer)

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Feedback on my salary/job situation (App developer)

Hi guys,

I am a Pakistani here on an IANG visa and have been working in a fairly well off company as an App developer. I have 2 Msc degrees both from a top 50 Uni in HK, and have been working at my current job since 2013.

I would like some feedback on my salary situation.

1. The mainland Chinese students on campus told me that no one is going to hire me because I dont speak Cantonese so they told me to ask for a below average salary, so I did and started off at a stupid low 10K. Granted i had only 4 months experience prior to this so that was technically ok for me.

2. After the first year I got a $500 increment and eventually now its at 18k after 5 years.

3. Over the years i have tried to negotiate for a higher salary, and here are the best comebacks by my senior manager:

(a)When I told her that according to an SCMP article I read, prison inmates who wash dogs can get 12K starting salary(i), she told me that they are prison inmates and you are a free man so value your freedom.

(b)Then i told her i want to get married and get my wife here, so need a salary to support both so she said tell your wife to work as well and not sleep all day

(c)One of my friends started his new job at another company with zero experience just like me, but at a 15K starting salary and when I told my manager she said "wow ask them if they are hiring, ill apply there too".

(d)Last year I got a 5% increase, and I showed my annoyance and she told me government only wants us to give 3% increase and we have given you 5% so be thankful.

(e)I also tried using the rent is too much logic, and she found some obscure house in Yuen Long for 4K rent and told me to move there.

So here are my questions:

1. Is my Salary of 18k very low? Because my senior manager does not seem to think so, and has awesome come backs every time I try to bring this issue up.

2. How can I negotiate for better pay as an Adult, without throwing a tantrum because everything I say she comes back with an impressive comeback so I have to shut up then.

Also if it helps, i am 1/2 of foreigners in our company. We have another south asian fellow, but they treat him even worse and dont even include him in projects. According to him, the big boss wants to get rid of both of us but i am wondering then why not just kick us out..rather than pay us a shit salary, but nevertheless a salary every month.

Any feedback will greatly appreciated.

I have changed a couple of things, because i am 100% sure my senior manager who I have quoted above is a member here as well. lol.

(i)(Pampering pooches: training programmes set Hong Kong prisoners on the straight and narrow | South China Morning Post)

Find yourself another job

shri and Vix85 like this.

Honestly none of the arguements that you offer are "real life" - get over the whole "prison inmate" / "getting married" / "average rates" thing... its BS.

It all boils down to who you work for and how much they value you. How much will it cost to replace you? Some companies value employees - hire skilled people, train them and will do their best to retain them. For some companies - you're what you are and can be replaced easily.

If they don't value you, you're not worth anything.

While you've been at this job - have you developed new skills? Have you released your own apps? Have you networked with other app developers? Have you become worth 10-20-30-50-100% more to your current or next company?

kk16 and ecy5ma2 like this.

If you value yourself more than the company pays you, get the hell out of there. respect yourself and find a company that would respect you, as a human and as an employee.
    good luck

and ffs, don't compare yourself with inmates

shri, ecy5ma2 and Vix85 like this.

Thats fair. I figured the same. And nothing I have said is new or something which the senior management wouldnt know already.

I dont think I give enough value to the company, and tbh the only reason I guess im still around is because of the low salary along with transferable skills which allow me to work on front end/back end etc. It may be cheaper for them to kick me out and get 3 people to do the same work i do...more expensive, but
    albeit faster.

I guess time to make a move now.

Thank you.

Andy SNK likes this.

Yep... hopefully you can transfer the whole IANG visa easily and go to a company that will actually consider you a skilled employee and look into sponsoring you for a proper GEP visa.

Sorry, just one last question.

Given my 4-5 years of experience, what is the average salary for people in my field? I have seen data from various head hunters and it seems average is around 24-25K with some saying around 28K.

Is that correct?

that depends on your negotiation skill and the company. you should be getting 20k+ at least. remember, biggest raise is usually getting a new job.

shri and Kowloon Goon like this.

Quote Originally Posted by ecy5ma2:
    Sorry, just one last question.

Given my 4-5 years of experience, what is the average salary for people in my field? I have seen data from various head hunters and it seems average is around 24-25K with some saying around 28K.

Is that correct?
    If you're familiar working with modern development techniques (e.g., CI/CD, RESTful APIs), design frameworks (e.g., Zurb, spring boot), and good coding practices (e.g., threading, off line storage, tuning, etc) then you should be in the $35k+ range, IMO. All mid to large size organizations are looking for junior developers with the above skill sets as there is a massive gap in engineering and architecture talent in HK.
    shri, ecy5ma2 and wayland like this.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast