Like Tree13Likes

Looking for advice teaching in Hong Kong

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Smile Looking for advice teaching in Hong Kong

My background is a bit confusing so let me explain a little. I am an American citizen born in America, but I have only lived in America the last 10 years. The rest I lived in Hong Kong with my family so I am a Hong Kong permanent resident as well. I studied in both local and international schools in Hong Kong before pursuing college in America. I speak Cantonese and English fluently with Mandarin just a little behind.

I am considering moving to Hong Kong and pursing a career in education. I graduated with a bachelors in mathematics so I am thinking of teaching / tutoring math or English. Where would I look for more information and what kind of qualification do I need? Also, what's the job market like for teachers or tutors in Hong Kong? Lastly, would it be better for me to apply for work as an American or Hong Kong citizen?

Any information and suggestions would be appreciated. Many thanks and blessings to you!

Last edited by buren.; 05-02-2018 at 03:56 PM.

You should stress you are a HK PR and can speak Cantonese when applying for all jobs in Hong Kong. Not sure if they are looking for fluent Chinese readers as well. Reading and writing Chinese needed if the school teaches in Cantonese. Your american nationality is not important to them, it is your education and work experience in HK and or overseas they may want to know more. And they expect you to know HK maths is usually harder than US maths before college education.

Are you a recent graduate or have experience in other industries?

This is what schools maybe actually looking for. Sometimes they need new young graduates, sometimes teachers with experience, sometimes applicants with non teaching experience.

A bachelor in maths is good for all primary and secondary schools maths teacher posts. Many applicants have master degrees too. PG Education qualification maybe wanted if you are not quite recently graduated. In HK, the Education University has graduates majoring maths education(secondary) or maths education(primary) etc with teaching experience during their university years. Most graduates of the Education University have job offers and become teachers in the same year they graduate. There are always HK people graduated overseas teaching in Hong Kong.

Teachers in schools are also teachers in charge of some extracurricular activities, student admission selection, discipline and other duties. There are many tutors in Hong Kong. Star tutors earn big money while typical tutors have a few students in the afternoon and more on weekends. Schools don't like applicants changing their career from a tutor to a teacher at a proper school. Schools like their teachers have or had teaching training. A freelance tutor does not need teacher training if he or she can teach students effectively.

Last edited by lighthse003; 05-02-2018 at 04:24 PM.
    jmbf and buren. like this.

To add a bit to what lighthse003 said, Hong Kong still does provide plenty of opportunities for dedicated and hard-working teachers. Whether you choose to go down the path of teaching at a local primary or secondary school, an international school, a university or as a freelancer, you have to decide what your priorities are and what you want to get out of teaching.

I got into freelance tutoring for the scheduling flexibility, decent income and the freedom of being my own boss.

buren. likes this.

Thank you for the quick reply lighthse003!

I graduated 5 years ago (2013) so not really a recent graduate. I actually forgot that I have a TEFL/TESOL certificate somewhere when I considered teaching overseas awhile back but I must have misplaced it, would that be helpful? I am willing to pick up a certificate or degree if that's what I need to land a job. Any suggestions where to obtain one? Online would be preferable as it will be easier to complete.

Regarding to your statement about schools not liking tutor applicants. Would it be an issue if I tutor while I work on my teaching experience and/or a credential, especially since I do not have any experience at all?

I think I will probably apply to both teaching and tutoring (in learning centers) jobs and see what I can get. What salary should I ask for with my current background? I was wondering if I should mention that I am an American citizen as I am hoping for housing allowance as well. Thank you for the useful information again!

Thank you jmbf for your reply! I've actually read a few of your posts in the forums haha.

I do believe hard work and dedication will be most important. Mainly I am considering teaching because of my degree and I would like to be contributing to society by educating tomorrow's leaders. I don't mind a routine job nor do I mind freelancing but I assume I would need contacts to be a freelance tutor in Hong Kong? If I have to pick a priority it would be job advancement, as I would like to have a goal to work hard towards.

Last edited by buren.; 05-02-2018 at 05:33 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by buren.:
    I graduated 5 years ago (2013) so not really a recent graduate. I actually forgot that I have a TEFL/TESOL certificate somewhere when I considered teaching overseas awhile back but I must have misplaced it, would that be helpful? I am willing to pick up a certificate or degree if that's what I need to land a job. Any suggestions where to obtain one? Online would be preferable as it will be easier to complete.
    Having a TEFL cert will help with language centre work. However if it was obtained a long time ago that might stand against you. i to i tefl is alright as a TEFL provider although there are plenty of others.

Regarding to your statement about schools not liking tutor applicants. Would it be an issue if I tutor while I work on my teaching experience and/or a credential, especially since I do not have any experience at all?
    If you have the right to work freely then it should be no issue at all as long as it doesn't interfere with your main work.

I think I will probably apply to both teaching and tutoring (in learning centers) jobs and see what I can get. What salary should I ask for with my current background? I was wondering if I should mention that I am an American citizen as I am hoping for housing allowance as well. Thank you for the useful information again!
    As a new teacher with no experience and only a basic TEFL, you would be lucky to get much more than $20K / month. There is very little chance of getting a housing allowance with a language centre. I've heard of a few who offer them but it is very rare. Housing allowances are usually the domain of teachers in the EDB NET scheme or international school positions.

I don't mind a routine job nor do I mind freelancing but I assume I would need contacts to be a freelance tutor in Hong Kong? If I have to pick a priority it would be job advancement, as I would like to have a goal to work hard towards.
    Being a successful freelance tutor is all about developing your reputation. It starts with advertising yourself to gain a few clients and then hopefully moving on to word-of-mouth referrals.
    jrkob and buren. like this.

You need a teaching qualification if you want to teach in a proper school. I don't know why lighthouse mentioned Education University specifically, but there are other and better teacher training courses out there. Many people work as tutors while completing their tertiary studies.

buren. likes this.

I’ve heard that teaching posts are really few and hard to get now in Hong Kong, with many people having PGDEs not even being considered for interviews. Is that true?

Also is the workload for international vs local schools vastly different?

Quote Originally Posted by duststar:
    I’ve heard that teaching posts are really few and hard to get now in Hong Kong, with many people having PGDEs not even being considered for interviews. Is that true?
    Really depends on which positions you are talking about. The EDB NET scheme only takes on around 30-40 new teachers per year and the salary is decent so competition to get in is very tough. However, for most other positions there is usually plenty of availability. If you browse the ads section here and elsewhere you will see a multitude of positions being advertised for almost daily.

Quote Originally Posted by duststar:
    Also is the workload for international vs local schools vastly different?
    Very much depends on the school. Local schools vary widely. You could have very different experiences from one to another. In many ways the same could be said of international schools.
    duststar, buren. and chingleutsch like this.

Thank you all for the helpful information!

So if I am looking to obtain a credible teaching qualification, where would you suggest in Hong Kong or online?

Also other than the job board here, any other sites that are useful for looking up jobs in Hong Kong?

Thank you all very much and blessing to you all!

So if I am looking to obtain a credible teaching qualification, where would you suggest in Hong Kong or online?
    I'd actually recommend getting a CELTA or Trinity Cert TESOL at a minimum. At least it would put you one rung above the online TEFL crowd. I don't think you can actually study for the CELTA in Hong Kong but I believe there is an organisation here offering the Trinity Cert.

Also other than the job board here, any other sites that are useful for looking up jobs in Hong Kong?
    Make sure to sign up with all the jobs websites such as Classified Post, Jobs DB, IndeedHK, RecruitHK, Monster, CTgoodjobs etc etc. You can also join the various Facebook HK teaching pages / groups. There are quite a few now and I see jobs posted up almost daily. You can also check out more specific teaching sites such as Daves ESL Cafe.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast