Like Tree8Likes

2018 - Job Hunting in HK - Tips / Info

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

Quote Originally Posted by Plutark:
    Well HR are getting paid by the company, so why don't they use some of their free time to learn about what these roles require (briefly). I can't count how many times I've talked to clueless HR staff who don't know what their company is doing, or even what skills the industry is requiring. Oh yeah they focus a lot here on what Uni you have been too or if they can find a reason to throw your CV. The whole recruitment process is broken anyway.

You said supply and demand, that's the thing, there is no supply of tech skills in HK. Ask any mid size companies how they find their programmers, yes they can find some but how bad are they.

I remember having HR telling me, oh no you don't know that you have to it's mandatory there is no way this will work. I was explaining that it didn't matter as I knew another technology that was way more efficient. I ended having to bypass HR and go to hiring manager, he was like, we are using the tool you just mentioned.

You never heard of Visa being an issue? Have you read how many clearly says - No Visa Sponsorship.

It really pisses me off when people says, that's the law of supply and demand, sorry we'll keep our shitty system in place for that reason. Job search is a soul destroying process, why shouldn't HR make it a little bit easier by not ghosting people or even following up on things (in most jobs not following on things get you fired).

HR is the forefront of the company, shitty HR shows shitty company process and efficiency. And for all you they might end up being your customer. And please can someone get rid of Taleo!
    Then isn't it a good thing that you aren't working for those companies?

The reason I would put skills not relevant to the position is so I don't get people who are creative just to get the role. Or at least if I found someone that creative that they can read through the BS then they are well suited to work in this role.

My thoughts are this is because of the extreme wealth gap and the huge workforce puts the need for people to easily copy and past the JD into their very own resume! Then it makes it even more challenging to see through the BS to find candidates.

Yes it's hard and it's a lot of work. But compare this to the west where the applications make you want to pull your hair out. Talk about talent pool, I can see a big difference between the two places.

What really grinds my gears is large companies (not just recruiters!!) data mine candidates with fake roles--see this a lot. It's easy for the job seeker to see a position and think the company is hiring for this role, but it's not always the case. HR has more than one task and it isn't to help job seekers get placed.

Recruiters are worse as they have the two birds one stone philosophy and thus broaden JD's to get as many CV's as possible.

If a role really doesn't sponsor a visa then they are probably paying a salary that you wouldn't consider. Consider changing your strategy--HK has been this way and won't change, the system here works. Adapt and succeed.

I have never met a person working in HR in HK who is likely to have a 3-digit IQ. They are universally indolent oxygen thieves. Don't bank on a reply even if you email them directly. Better to network your way in with the real decision-makers at the top

MandM! likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Paxbritannia:
    I have never met a person working in HR in HK who is likely to have a 3-digit IQ. They are universally indolent oxygen thieves. Don't bank on a reply even if you email them directly. Better to network your way in with the real decision-makers at the top
    Trying to be nice to them here... but the likelier reason is that they don't know how to think or aren't allowed to think for themselves.

I've met some who work in HR or recruitment in outside settings and they seem fine (recruiters tend to be slimey because i guess they only want to know you if you can help them or give them contacts). But in a work situation, they have no thought process. Every little thing has them asking a manager even when it is so so obvious. It takes days to get something done or authorised.

Get networking!

If you are within Financial Services, there's a Meetup group (aptly entitled: 'Hong Kong Finance Career Hunters and Gatherers') that will be meeting this Wednesday 14th March for happy hour at Tonic on Wyndham Street.

And full disclosure, I set the group up. It's pretty new so, hopefully, it will build some momentum (please come everyone...), but as someone that used to be in finance and now does career coaching, I thought it would be a good forum to combine the two worlds.

Network, network and network some more!

When I moved to HK from the UK in 2009 I had 4 years work experience. Before I came I emailed all my work contacts in the UK, told them I was coming and asked if they knew anyone in HK in our industry. I got a handful of intros. Once I got here I emailed those people and asked to meet for a chat and to get their advice. Most people were very friendly and helpful, and they in turn gave me more names and intros of people to speak with.

Bear in mind this was 2009 so hardly anyone was recruiting, but after a couple of months one of the people I'd met contacted me as a friend of theirs was recruiting. That particular role wasn't right for me, but I emailed the company anyway, and a few weeks later they got in touch about a different role.

8 years later I'm still with the same group and I've had fantastic career and promotion opportunities. Wouldn't be here without networking.

WMDS likes this.