Like Tree7Likes
  • 1 Post By kittykaitak
  • 1 Post By chingleutsch
  • 1 Post By elmaldito
  • 2 Post By UK/HKboy
  • 1 Post By elmaldito
  • 1 Post By MerMer

How difficult would it be for a locally qualified teacher to find teaching positions overseas?

How difficult would it be for a locally qualified teacher to find teaching positions overseas?

How difficult would it be for a locally qualified Maths teacher to find teaching positions overseas?

No straight answer to this. Your degree, teaching qualification and the requirements of the jurisdiction you apply to are all factors- as is the demand for teachers. You need to check with the relevant country (or even state within a country eg USA).

duststar likes this.

Along with factors such as the police background checks and whether any experience gained in HK would lift you over the registration/ certification bar in many jurisdictions (the need to have done classroom work under supervision for a certain period of time post-qualification).

duststar likes this.

Do you have a PGDE? Maths is a shortage subject in the UK but you would need to validate your teaching license first in order to get a teaching reference number. However, I'm not sure how easy visas are to obtain after you get this.

You could always ask them here:

https://ta-chat.education.gov.uk/cha...Teaching&SID=4

duststar likes this.

Please also be aware that schoolkids in many parts of the world are worse behaved than those in HK.

MerMer and duststar like this.

Quote Originally Posted by UK/HKboy
    Please also be aware that schoolkids in many parts of the world are worse behaved than those in HK.

Yes, that may be true but at least in the UK you can check the Ofsted report for each school you apply to. This is just a random example I found: https://reports.ofsted.gov.uk/provid...urn/135296.pdf

It at least gives you an idea whether or not the school is going to be a nightmare or not!
    duststar likes this.

You won't get teacher registration in Australia if you have a local Hong Kong qualification (PGDE). The reason is that although there is a practicum, it doesn't meet their requirements because the student teacher isn't supervised constantly (ie they're often just given a class to teach and the mentor isn't necessarily observing them). Also, the practicum must be for at least 45 days for secondary.
    I know this because I've called the teacher registration board in my state to check for a friend who trained here.
    There's something called Teach for Australia - check that out.
    Teacher and student roles are different in other cultures, and I find that compared to back home, HK students are so much easier to manage and more respectful.

duststar likes this.