Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast
Like Tree11Likes

Do you need a tefl to teach in hong kong?

Do you need a tefl to teach in hong kong?

Hi,
    I read somewhere that you need a tefl to teach in Hong Kong, however, i've found a few jobs online that say its not required.

I'm just wondering if their are any teaching jobs that don't require a tefl/celta etc

I do have a degree and i taught in Japan at a conversation school for about 10 months.

Thank you for your help!

Unless you have permission to work in Hong Kong, you will need a working visa. To get a working visa, you will need a company to sponsor you, and you will need a minimum of a degree. Having a teaching certificate of some kind would certainly help your application, and also help you to get a better paid job. While there are teaching jobs that don't require a teaching certificate, perhaps those teaching jobs are for people who do not need a working visa.

Depending on your age and nationality, you could consider the Working Holiday Scheme. https://www.immd.gov.hk/eng/services...ay_scheme.html

The general rule of thumb is 'a degree' and 'a recognised TEFL'...

That said, you should have no problem getting work at a language centre with degree+experience... If you've worked at an Eikaiwa you already know what to expect, roughly speaking...

There are surely english teaching jobs not requiring degrees and tefl cert.

The most important thing to you is the HK visa.
    And the ease to get it is not the same as other asian countries.

Also, some employers just want to hire someone not needing visas.

Quote Originally Posted by lighthse003
    There are surely english teaching jobs not requiring degrees and tefl cert.
    Not ones that you'd actually want to work for though.

Thanks for your suggestions. I am thinking of getting a working holiday visa (that's what i had for Japan). I don't mind if its not the best job, i'm not looking for a career just an okay job that pays decent.

I worked at Nova so maybe i know what to expect!

I might get a tefl before i go its just if i don't need it to work in Hong Kong seems silly to spend the money.

Hi Emily Charlotte,

Like others have said before, if you want a teaching job with a decent paycheck, good working conditions and career prospects, you need a TESOL/TEFL/CELTA cert and preferably one with a teaching practice component and not just online instructions and course work.

However, if you just wanna make a few bucks while "exploring and experiencing life" in Hong Kong while living here on a working holiday visa, you can get work at some language centers without a TESOL/TEFL/CELTA cert.

Why don't you apply to those language centers that cater to the Japanese expats living in Hong Kong? They'll value your experience teaching at an "Eikaiwa" in Japan.

Thanks for all your help and suggestions I'm still unsure about hong kong because accommodation seems very expensive.
    Sorry to be a bother but does anyone have an idea of what work hours are like?

In japan i had 29 lessons a week (44 mins each) which was 3 and a half days. A few people told me i was very lucky but in japan this was enough to pay for accommodation and save up for a few trips.

Also my sister is interested too but she hasn't taught abroad before - she has however worked at a summer camp and regularly works in the children's section of the library. Any idea on how easy it would be for her to find a teaching job?

Quote Originally Posted by emilycharlotte
    worked at a summer camp and regularly works in the children's section of the library.
    I think you can answer your own question.

Would you advise your sister to teach at a language centre that would employ as a teacher person whose experience is 'worked at a summer camp' and 'regularly works in the children's section of a library'?

Quote Originally Posted by SpeakCantonese
    I think you can answer your own question.

Would you advise your sister to teach at a language centre that would employ as a teacher person whose experience is 'worked at a summer camp' and 'regularly works in the children's section of a library'?
    Well i got hired in Japan with less experience! Yeah it wasn't the greatest job but neither of us are looking for a career. So as long as she can find a job she'll be happy

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast