Like Tree29Likes

Difficult to get a cab from central to kowloon at night?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Difficult to get a cab from central to kowloon at night?

A friend told me today that it is hard to get a cab from central to kowloon at night without paying extra fares. Can someone please verify this? I'm looking for housing and wonder if I should limit my options to the island because of this. My job would require me to work after 10pm regularly. Thank you!

Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaInHK:
    A friend told me today that it is hard to get a cab from central to kowloon at night without paying extra fares. Can someone please verify this? I'm looking for housing and wonder if I should limit my options to the island because of this. My job would require me to work after 10pm regularly. Thank you!
    Not an issue at all. I take a cab every evening (almost) to my home in the New Territories and work in Central - never had to pay extra or anything. There are specific spot to get the cabs (Cross Harbour Taxi Stand) or you use "HK taxi" app to order one ahead (usually get one within 5mn) or you take one in the street (this one is more 50/50 chances are sometimes they don't want to go to Kowloon, but out of say 5 cab, 3 will bring you).
    VeronicaInHK likes this.

Yes, it can be a pain in the arse. MTR runs till late though and it's just as quick as a taxi to most parts of Kowloon.

VeronicaInHK likes this.

Why don't you ride the MTR - & - if necessary - hitch a ride at your Kowloon MTR exit?

Anyway - if you MUST ride a taxi - they are legally required to drive WHERE you want to go - & NOT take the loooong way around to get to your destination!

For a regular commute it's probably easiest to take the MTR as close to your destination as possible and then a taxi from that point home. At 10 PM you won't have difficulty getting a seat.

VeronicaInHK likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Mat:
    Not an issue at all. I take a cab every evening (almost) to my home in the New Territories and work in Central - never had to pay extra or anything. There are specific spot to get the cabs (Cross Harbour Taxi Stand) or you use "HK taxi" app to order one ahead (usually get one within 5mn) or you take one in the street (this one is more 50/50 chances are sometimes they don't want to go to Kowloon, but out of say 5 cab, 3 will bring you).
    Thanks! Did some search online and there is a Cross Harbour Taxi Stand close to where I work! Do you usually have to wait in a long line at these stands?

There are also night buses. And Uber

shri, VeronicaInHK and East_coast like this.

Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit:
    Yes, it can be a pain in the arse. MTR runs till late though and it's just as quick as a taxi to most parts of Kowloon.
    Quote Originally Posted by GreenCatalonia:
    Why don't you ride the MTR - & - if necessary - hitch a ride at your Kowloon MTR exit?
    Thank you both! I'll take the MTR whenever I can. But it would not be rare for me to work over midnights and there might be nights when I'm too exhausted to do even limited walking.

Quote Originally Posted by VeronicaInHK:
    Thanks! Did some search online and there is a Cross Harbour Taxi Stand close to where I work! Do you usually have to wait in a long line at these stands?
    In the evenings there are rarely any taxi's in the Cross Harbour stands. After midnight, almost never.

You can try and flag them down on the street, but if you make the "cross harbour" wave symbol with your arm 80-90% will drive by. If you flag one down, about half will refuse outright and most of the others will "offer" to take you to an (empty) Cross-Harbour stand.

Your friend is right, it isn't easy.
    VeronicaInHK likes this.

I can assure you, you're going to get four types of responses

- Yes
    - No
    - Take an MTR
    - Take an Uber

(And someone might even suggest going on a hike...)

Bottom line - stay in a serviced apartment / hotel for a week or two, get familiar with the transport situation to your desired areas before you figure where you're going to live.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast