Like Tree7Likes

Career Advise Desperately Needed

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Career Advise Desperately Needed

This is my current situation in my workplace. I am happy with the work environment, people and everything except one thing. I have little to no work at my job despite taking this up with relevant people at work. I am told that we are having a slow season and I should eventually have something to do. It has been like this for the last 5-6 months.

This is my first job and I feel like I've shot myself in the foot. I know I wouldn't be 100% utilised before signing this job when graduating but I was happy to take up since I liked the job duties. Over my employment, I have been jobless for nearly 50-60% but this is the case only for me as more senior colleagues have work to do but somehow they have no delegation needs or even pass mind-numbing work.

When applying for jobs, I am no longer considered a graduate but at the same time, not an experienced professional as well. I am looking to transition to a banking career from a consulting career but entry level positions won't really start till June 2019 (if i were to apply now) and I won't qualify as a graduate either.

Can anyone please advise what I should do? Nobody at work seem to care that I am completely unused for the last couple of months. I am just at work self-educating myself to use my time at work with finance knowledge and preparing for CFA.

I would suggest getting a job with other consulting firms first and build some sort of expertise.

every other week i am meeting guys getting sick of all forms of banking and most trying to get out.. then there are the bright chaps all trying to get in. hmmmm

Are you at a brand name consultancy or second tier?

If you're hell bent on leaving and this is your first job - don't be in a rush to quit. Build your network... and get hired. You really don't want a gap in your resume.

imparanoic likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    every other week i am meeting guys getting sick of all forms of banking and most trying to get out.. then there are the bright chaps all trying to get in. hmmmm
    Churn ... every other week, I'm seeing stocks people want to dump and others want to buy.
    Mat likes this.

https://www.ft.com/content/760fb4c2-...a-423ed8ffe012

this explains a lot.. but then, other than the fat paycheck, does it feel nice ? i don't know... i am glad to be out of this ...

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    https://www.ft.com/content/760fb4c2-...a-423ed8ffe012this explains a lot.. but then, other than the fat paycheck, does it feel nice ? i don't know... i am glad to be out of this ...
    Okay clearly your banking career somehow didn't go well and you got disappointed about it...that doesn't mean you cant have a brilliant and/or fulfilling banking career.I know some bankers (in various areas, even the ones that don't necessary make that much $) that love their job be they Head of Operation, Financial Crime Investigators or big shot deal maker.Like in every field, some love their job, some hate it, some are in it only for the $ etc etc.
    Fiona in HKG likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Are you at a brand name consultancy or second tier?

If you're hell bent on leaving and this is your first job - don't be in a rush to quit. Build your network... and get hired. You really don't want a gap in your resume.
    I am at a first tier consulting firm. I am not hell bent on leaving but I prefer working to just sitting down counting seconds.

I am interested in jumping to banking. Preferably back office operations of an investment bank . I would like to know how I can make it happen. (Anyone here that can refer me to a HR and/or Hiring Manager )

Back office operations in investment banking might sound exciting, but believe me, it isn't. No way

Quote Originally Posted by orel100x:
    Back office operations in investment banking might sound exciting, but believe me, it isn't. No way
    Compared to front office, back office is much better in terms of working hours. The pay is lower but you will have a life outside of work compared to front-office.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast