Like Tree3Likes
  • 1 Post By chuckster007
  • 1 Post By drumbrake
  • 1 Post By chuckster007

Cert of no criminal conviction...help

Closed Thread

Cert of no criminal conviction...help

Hi all. So I've got a HKID and a British passport. Basically I found a job back in the UK. I am sure they will ask for a criminal record check from me.

Now - HK police don't give out these checks for employment reasons. Can someone help me and tell me what I should do?

Do I go to the Consulate and ask them to write a letter for me?

I will need to go to the HK police headquarters on Arsenal Street and submit the form with my fingerprints etc.

How will the HK police know that you need the criminal record check for employment purposes?

Quote Originally Posted by drumbrake:
    How will the HK police know that you need the criminal record check for employment purposes?
    The HK Police do not give you the certificate, they will mail it directly to relevant Consulate / Immigration Authority / Government Authority ONLY so you cant just go apply for it for a Job purpose.

The issuance of Certificates of No Criminal Conviction is a charged service provided by the Hong Kong Police Force which is solely in connection with a person's application for a visa to visit, study or reside in another country, or for adoption of children. Applications for the Certificate for any other purposes will not be accepted.

6. If no criminal conviction data against the applicant in Hong Kong is located, we shall issue the Certificate and send it directly by registered mail to the relevant Consulate / Immigration Authority / Government Authority within four calendar weeks.
    https://www.police.gov.hk/ppp_en/11_...ime.html#local
    TheBrit likes this.

Does that mean there are no criminal record checks required for someone to work with children or vulnerable people in HK?

Quote Originally Posted by Beanieskis:
    Does that mean there are no criminal record checks required for someone to work with children or vulnerable people in HK?
    No. You get a letter of support from your employer/organization you're working with and you go to them. They have a sexual conviction register list, and after you go through the registration, you receive a number. This way your employer can always check this number for up-to-date information on your record in Hong Kong. I would suggest the OP ask their current employer for this, but I guess they probably don't want to do that.

When I applied for No Criminal Conviction at the Arsenal Police Force 2 years ago, I was immediately asked to provide them a letter from the Consulate without asking my purpose for applying for it. Luckily, the Italian Consulate provided me the letter prior going to the police station. After a month, the certificate has been directly sent to the Italian Consulate. They will not issue it to the applicant.

I suggest, you ask the British Consulate to prepare a letter for you so you can apply for it and secure it from once forwarded by HK Police to them. I'm sure they will do it for you.

Quote Originally Posted by toni_celin:
    I suggest, you ask the British Consulate to prepare a letter for you so you can apply for it and secure it from once forwarded by HK Police to them. I'm sure they will do it for you.
    As per the link from drumbrake above, the consulate does provide this service. @westcat follow the link and it has good instructions there.

Hong Kong Certificate of No Criminal Conviction
    We can provide introduction letters for production at the Hong Kong Police for a Certificate of No Criminal Conviction (CNCC) only if the CNCC is to be used in the UK and that you have evidence of this (e.g. a letter from a UK University or employer personally addressed to you in the name shown on your passport, declaring that you require a Hong Kong criminal record check).

What you will need to bring with you:

the letter from the UK establishment or employer confirming that you need a criminal record check from Hong Kong, addressed to you in the name that appears on your passport

proof of identity/address – see what we will accept as proof

the correct fee – see the list of fees and payment options

If you do not live in, or have already left Hong Kong, we are unable to provide this service from the British Consulate General Hong Kong. You should follow the guidance Applying for Hong Kong CNCC from overseas (PDF, 358KB, 1 page) to request a letter of introduction from the Consular team in London.
    toni_celin likes this.