Like Tree35Likes

EDB Net scheme teachers

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8

Original Post Deleted
    PGCE is contains more practical work I believe while M.ED is more theories and knowledge based.

Quote Originally Posted by guccigucci:
    In terms of time, I am planning to do a two years Masters...but agree on PCGE is tough...been there done that...thew...
    I did a PGCE half a life ago and I would say that if a person finds PGCE tough they should wear a foam helmet when leaving the house. It was at the very barest level of what could be called academic study, in my opinion. I think, in general, it functions to have prospective teachers hold that idea for a full year. If you are keen come graduation, good. If teaching isn't for you, you'll bail long before that.
    DennisMilano likes this.

I need to ask does anyone understand the pay scale?

I'm told I have 20 points (This is before factoring my 300 hour TESOL) and the way the points are calculated is that have a BA degree gives me 17 points and then an additional 1 point for each year of (ESL) teaching experience. What confuses me is that me having a postgraduate degree doesn't seem play to play a role in my pay which feels wrong. I was under the impression that being a licensed teacher, having a MA degree (equivalent to a level 6 ma in HK) , teaching experience, and now the 300 hr TESOL would put me a bit higher on the scale. It seem that none of that is taken into consideration, it's only needed to get in the NET Scheme afterwards pay is only based on how many years you've taught. Is this correct?

I managed to get into NET SCHEME (apparently my 300 hour TESOL doesn't matter as I was in even before I completed it)

Quote Originally Posted by Mr.Optimistic:
    I need to ask does anyone understand the pay scale?

I'm told I have 20 points (This is before factoring my 300 hour TESOL) and the way the points are calculated is that have a BA degree gives me 17 points and then an additional 1 point for each year of (ESL) teaching experience. What confuses me is that me having a postgraduate degree doesn't seem play to play a role in my pay which feels wrong. I was under the impression that being a licensed teacher, having a MA degree (equivalent to a level 6 ma in HK) , teaching experience, and now the 300 hr TESOL would put me a bit higher on the scale. It seem that none of that is taken into consideration, it's only needed to get in the NET Scheme afterwards pay is only based on how many years you've taught. Is this correct?

I managed to get into NET SCHEME (apparently my 300 hour TESOL doesn't matter as I was in even before I completed it)
    Your postgraduate education means you're not stopping at point 24 and you can go on to point 29 for PNET and point 33 for SNET, which means you benefit in the long-term. Those are some decent salaries.

Original Post Deleted
    I see. They used to hire NETs as Certificated Master/Mistress (CM) based on certain criteria, with the pay equivalent to Points 14 to 24 on the Master Pay Scale. I guess they no longer do that.

Original Post Deleted
    I'm lost because according to HKCAAVQ I have a postgraduate diploma (it reads my teachee qualifications meets the requirements of the education bureau and considered equivalent to a local postgraduate diploma in education)

The postgrad diploma doesn't matter in the pay scale calculation?

Also sorry that I take forever to read and respond. I have a daughter now, so she occupies just about all of my time.

As always thanks for the responses.

Original Post Deleted
    Most definitely does, thanks a lot.

Red face Clarification on Qualification Required for NET

Hi all!

I’m just looking for some clarification on whether or not my degree is equivalent to the PDDE/CE looked for by the NET scheme.

I am currently studying a 4-year undergraduate degree in education which is a Master of Arts (with Honours) in Scotland (this course replaces the BEd Primary Education course, and is equivalent to a BA in education).

This degree gives me a qualification to become a primary school teacher in the UK. When I complete my course I am straight into a probationary job working as a full time teacher in a Scottish Primary school (as well as having professional placements in all 4 years of my degree). I am also currently working towards my TEFL qualification.

Is this degree equivalent to what Hong Kong NET scheme look for when they state:

• a bachelor’s degree in any subject from a Hong Kong university or equivalent;
    • a recognised teacher training qualification; and
    • a TEFL/TESL qualification at least at certificate level, or an equivalent course of study recognised by the EDB*.”

i.e would my degree cover both the bachelors degree in any subject and the recognised teacher training qualification?

Thanks!

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8