Like Tree35Likes

EDB Net scheme teachers

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast

EDB Net scheme teachers

Hi all,

Im a primary school teacher on the NET scheme, and Ive just taken up my first ever post for this coming year, which Im delighted about.

Im a complete newbie; having not yet taken a PGCE (hoping to in two years), although Im educated to Masters level, have a CELTA, and a lot of experience behind me. Still, the Hong Kong EDB experience will be completely new to me and I must say that although Im excited I am quite daunted at the same time.

I have now made myself a member of the NET scheme meetup, and joined the official website- both look super helpful and Im really looking forward to meeting everyone.

What Im mostly looking for on this post is a little bit of guidance, if someone out there cares to share any knowledge or words of wisdom to a newcomer! I would like to prepare myself before term starts with knowledge of the curriculum and get together some resources before the official start date. At the moment I dont really know where to start. I want to get my head around the structure and into the nitty gritty of the planning from some people on the know. As NET teachers employed by the EDB are on their own in the schools, its hard to find someone to turn to!

If anyone one out there wants to talk online or meet up to, Id really like to connect with some experienced people!

Hi,I may have to move to Hong Kong in the near future. I'm from the UK and have a bachelors degree. Would I possibly be able to get accepted by the NET scheme without a TEFL/CELTA cert?

Quote Originally Posted by JBishop90:
    Hi,I may have to move to Hong Kong in the near future. I'm from the UK and have a bachelors degree. Would I possibly be able to get accepted by the NET scheme without a TEFL/CELTA cert?
    No.

You will also need to show you had some teaching practicum for your TEFL cert.

The NET scheme is the cream of the teaching jobs in HK. They only recruit proper teachers - i.e. those with qualifications and experience.

On the other hand, there are plenty of tutorial centres which will take anyone with a white face who can spin a good yarn. They will bilk you on the contract, possibly fail to get you a valid visa and often not pay. But hey, if you don't have any qualifications what do you expect?

That's fair, thanks for the replies. TEFL/CELTA I will plan to do. Of course it won't be online only.

It's mostly finding reliable teaching jobs/companies and knowing if I have to prepare to get a TEFL cert before hand. Judging by the replies, a teaching cert is something I will complete before a move is made. Hong Kong in terms of lifestyle, work etc. is something that I'm aware of. I won't be moving there and being on my own, my partner is from Hong Kong (resides here in the UK with me at the moment) so that part I feel comfortable with.

That's fair, thanks for the replies. TEFL/CELTA I will plan to do. Of course it won't be online only.
    Your chances of getting a NET job even with a TEFL cert are very low. There's no shortage of fully qualified and experienced teachers applying for the scheme.
    The Celt likes this.

Yeah I thought this would be the case but I will look to other schools that hire as well.

I'm applying to the NET scheme myself this year. I've heard it's very competitive and been told that without a teaching degree, I'm most likely not going to find a job. (Finishing MA in Eng Ling and Lit, have CELTA, taught in Korea for 4 years and public high schools in Spain and Switzerland for 5 years in total.)

Do you have any advice on how to catch the schools' attention? I really want this job so I can save money to pay for my teaching degree.

Page 1 of 8 1 2 3 4 ... LastLast