Best site to check for TEFL/TESOL/CELTA in UK

Closed Thread

Best site to check for TEFL/TESOL/CELTA in UK

Hi,

A teaching job in Hong Kong is very much on the cards but just in case, I do want to get a very good certificate but I don’t want the course to be online only. I know you will have a better chance at a job with some practical elements to the certificate. Looking for courses/certs here in the UK.

The outcome I want is for a job that has decent pay but looking for something long-term. The move isn’t going to be temporary, not looking for just an experience.

Thanks in advance.

Is this site any good?
    They have courses in Cardiff, Wales (can supply courses throughout the UK.

https://www.tefl.org.uk/

My biggest worry is a TEFL not being enough for a decent job. Maybe having to go for a CELTA or Trinity certificate. I have a Bachelors degree but my only teaching experience is being a private guitar tutor.

There is not much difference between TEFL and TESOL. However, you should be looking at courses that offer at least 100 hours as it is a requirement for many posts in HK.

CELTA is more sought after. The course is more intense in terms of studies and classroom management/evaluation.

A decent job requires more than qualifications. Experience is a big thing in HK. A TEFL/CELTA is great for entry level jobs for tuition centres and even some schools. However for the top jobs you should be looking at PGCE/PGDE. That saying, I know a few people that are on the NET scheme with just a TEFL and experience on their resume.

Thanks, this is good information. If I have to do entry level to start then that’s fine. After some experience of teaching in HK then I could look to apply for better roles

Why do so many people try to shirk getting even a decent certificate level teaching qualification?! You won't get any better roles without better qualifications, because the better employers want professionals who know their shit.

Well that's my point, I'm trying to get a decent certificate or qualification.

Well if you plan to stay in a tutorial centre, CELTA. If you wish to become a professional teacher and work in a school, just go and do a proper PGDE.

Well I think I'd teach the language rather than teach the subject of English. A good CELTA cert can be from £1000+, maybe a PGDE in future but university courses cost a lot and I've already been through university so loans are out of the question over here. I'll be keeping my options open though and take the best course of action depending on my situation