Like Tree1Likes
  • 1 Post By freeier

MPF exemption for 13 months

Closed Thread

MPF exemption for 13 months

Hello,

Following is my understanding about MPF exemptions.

Employer is exempted from contributing MPF for first 13 months only if;
    - Non-HK nationals having Employment VISA/Work permit less than 13 months
    - Part of similar arrangement/scheme in their home country

Am I correct ?

Please supplement any missing pointers.

Anyone?

Overseas schemes need to be qualified?

Exempt Persons

Quote Originally Posted by vyral_143:
    Hello,

Following is my understanding about MPF exemptions.

Employer is exempted from contributing MPF for first 13 months only if;
    - Non-HK nationals having Employment VISA/Work permit less than 13 months
    - Part of similar arrangement/scheme in their home country

Am I correct ?

Please supplement any missing pointers.
    First point: No
    Second point: Yes

My first 5 years in HK I didn’t need to have MPF as my employer was still contributing to my pension in my home country.

the last time i worked in hk, my employer was able to skim the first year of MPF as they were legally entitled not to contribute for any 1st year joiner, even though my contract was a permanent one.

took this from the mpf site: "
    if your employment visa allows you to remain in Hong Kong for 13 months or less, then you are exempt from joining an MPF scheme.

In the event that your employment visa is subsequently renewed, bringing your total continuous period of stay in Hong Kong to over 13 months, you would cease to be exempt starting the first day after the end of the 13-month period. Your employer will then be required to enrol you in an MPF scheme and make mandatory contributions accordingly."

I guess then most expats came in with a 12mth first visa, so all gets exempted by the employers that are calculative.

shri likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier:
    I guess then most expats came in with a 12mth first visa, so all gets exempted by the employers that are calculative.
    I think earlier Employment VISA were issues for 1 year first. But now they are issuing 2 years and on renewal issuing 3 years. In such cases, exemption could not be possible, right ?

Quote Originally Posted by vyral_143:
    I think earlier Employment VISA were issues for 1 year first. But now they are issuing 2 years and on renewal issuing 3 years. In such cases, exemption could not be possible, right ?
    would guess so.. i thought its quite rare to see a proper employer trying to skim off the first year of MPF contribution trying to use that exemption, but i did experienced it once so i am not sure anymore.

my other 2 times of employment in hk, the employer just assumed i am going to work more than a year and contributed from day 1.

Again you can be exempted indefinitely as long as your employer contributes to an overseas pension scheme. So that’s usually only the case as long as you are on a kind of expat contract.

If you are not then it does seem you can be exempt for 13 months but why would you want that? As you then miss out on your employers contribution.