Like Tree13Likes
  • 3 Post By Beanieskis
  • 2 Post By JAherbert
  • 1 Post By freeier

Easier to find a role whilst on a sabbatical or possible to do so whilst unemployed?

Closed Thread

Easier to find a role whilst on a sabbatical or possible to do so whilst unemployed?

Hi All,

First post!

I'll be moving to HK next year on a partner/spousal visa (secured through my partner's recent move to a company based there).

I'm currently in the Financial Services industry with approx. 4.5 years experience in product management (consumer side of the organisation, not investment), alongside some accredited courses in marketing, e-commerce and agile / scrum. I did an English Literature degree (upper 2:1) and secured a Graduate Scheme.

I would like to resign in Jan with a month's notice period and move to HK by mid-end Feb. My partner has been in HK for 1 month so far and spoken to people who have told him it'll be easier for me to find a role whilst on a sabbatical from my current employer - so whilst no income i'm technically 'employed' by them still.

A sabbatical would require 6 months notice to my current employer meaning the soonest I could move is April (provide notice now/they take 2-3 weeks to grant the time off). I would prefer not to do this, as a) i'm not particularly enjoying my current role and this extends it from working another 3 months to another 6 months and b) I'm away from my partner for longer, however if this is beneficial in securing me a role in HK I can see why I should do it.

Does anyone have a view on experience on the ease of finding employment whilst on a sabbatical (so can say i'm currently working for xyz) vs. I left my job at xyz 2/3 months ago to move here and I'm looking for a job?

Thank you for any help!

Agreed. Just be careful how you frame your partner's move here when applying for jobs. If it's a secondment don't mention that, a new employer who invests in you will want to know you're committed to HK for the medium term.

shri, Drunken Master and g4r3 like this.

Thank you both!

Luckily my partner's move there is permanent (for the time being...see ourselves there for a few years).

Is it worth me applying for jobs from here, explaining my scenario and that I have a visa or just waiting until I go out there? I'm planning on visiting for 3/4 days in October so will try and use that as an opportunity to meet recruiters etc.

Quote Originally Posted by g4r3:
    Is it worth me applying for jobs from here,
    No.

explaining my scenario and that I have a visa
    No, nobody will be the least bit interested, presumably your married, so you can secure your dependent visa and apply from HK.

I'm planning on visiting for 3/4 days in October so will try and use that as an opportunity to meet recruiters etc.
    Some may have a different view, but I would not bother.

You don't have much experience for a senior post, no visa, and not living here right now, so you can't be employed right away = too much hassle. I'd wait until you live here and have your visa in hand.
    g4r3 and chuckster007 like this.

I'd say no real difference between sabbatical or resigned.

A few things you want to watch out for:

• Visa - you'll want to confirm your visa status (e.g. Is it certain that you will receive a spousal dependent visa?). The large banks don't generally have a problem with applying for a visa for you, but it takes ~10 weeks.
    • Chinese New Year - is in early Feb 2019, which will slow down everything (visa, hiring decisions, process)
    • Vetting - All banks will need to conduct background checks. This takes 6-8 weeks.

Look up some headhunters and contract agencies when you're visiting HK to get a feel. Notice period in financial services in HK is often 3 months, so banks are very used to long hiring lead times.

not sure which part of product management do you do. but at the private banking side there is a sudden whirlwind of movement of people around.. so might be good to speak to the recruiters and see if there are opportunities you can slip in..

alot of these jobs are really opportunity dependent.. if there is a sudden need to fill posts, then you get alot of interviews and discussion.. if there isn't, then you need to dig alot harder.

shri likes this.

if you have a dependent visa it will be a lot easier to get a job. Since companies here tend to be lazy (HR cough cough), it's only a formality but that require them leaving the office (argh)....

For a dependent visa, it can go quick if income is sufficient.

Careful about the timing though as January is dead, people quit when they get their bonus after Chinese new year, you can initiate talks before that but don't expect anything to move fast. It's the slow season in HK