Like Tree2Likes

Fresh Grad Looking For Career Advice (Politics vs. Law Enforcement)

Closed Thread

Cool Fresh Grad Looking For Career Advice (Politics vs. Law Enforcement)

Hello all, I am a fresh grad from top tier (>25) University that has interest in pursuing a career in Hong Kong. I am in the rough currently in choosing between career paths as well as whether I should move back to Hong Kong or not. Particularly, I am interested in EO as well as police inspector as my top choices, but like many others there are always defining pros/cons for each.

For example, I would consider myself a less "hands on" person but with high critical analytic skills in team based environments (work better with people than alone). As a good thinking, the idea of being in an actionable team that is apart from solely planning, highly intrigues me as well. My grades are not high enough to apply straight for the AO position, but I'm wondering if EO alone could allow me rise up in the political ladder. They call it a "metal rice bowl" for a reason.

High salary is good, but it is not a determinate factor between the two. On the other hand, it seems that the inspector role may be highly stressful with longer hours than government office jobs (average morality age is higher than the average person) and has an odd promotion pattern (some say you may be stuck as inspector forever if you don't crack cases).

I would love to have a rundown for both cases to determine my path based on my personality and skillsets. If anyone of you guys have experiences or know anyone working as EO/Inspector, it would be very helpful to share some of their stories here!

Thanks in advance!

Political ladder or career ladder? Two different things.

Have any of your ex classmates ended up on either of those two paths?

About a decade ago I met an interesting and all round nice guy who followed Regina IP back from Stanford's MA in Politics program and entered politics - district councillor and then into civil service and now back studying at Harvard.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-study-harvard

On the other hand, the civil servants I know keep their heads down and step up the ladder without any spark and avoid doing anything interesting.

One other thing to consider - your career options outside the govt if things arent as appealing on the inside.

Police careers might restrict you, compared to civil service. Civil servants tend to rotate into different departments - which gives you a much broader experience which is perhaps more attractive to the private sector, compared to the disciplined services.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Political ladder or career ladder? Two different things.

Have any of your ex classmates ended up on either of those two paths?

About a decade ago I met an interesting and all round nice guy who followed Regina IP back from Stanford's MA in Politics program and entered politics - district councillor and then into civil service and now back studying at Harvard.

https://www.scmp.com/news/hong-kong/...-study-harvard

On the other hand, the civil servants I know keep their heads down and step up the ladder without any spark and avoid doing anything interesting.
    Political ladder. As far as I know, Donald Tsang (曾蔭權) started off working as EO which led to becoming the chief executive of Hong Kong by the end of his "ladder". I just read the article you sent; it's quite interesting.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    One other thing to consider - your career options outside the govt if things arent as appealing on the inside.

Police careers might restrict you, compared to civil service. Civil servants tend to rotate into different departments - which gives you a much broader experience which is perhaps more attractive to the private sector, compared to the disciplined services.
    Very, very considerate response of yours; I never thought of it that way. Other than having a decent salary, a good job environment, ability to rise up in the career ladder...perhaps the ability to transfer that skill to another sector is essential.

I think you mean Carrie...

Donald is probably not the person you want to emulate or even mention to anyone if you want to go down that route. Keep in mind - he is one in what 2-3-400K civil servants who reached the top?

The best and worst in any sector will go down in history. The middle tiers will just breed. This is life.

Well Carrie started as an AO which means comparing her career pathway would be at least years too early for the current me. Are you currently working as a civil servant?

Sounds ridiculous especially when there are virtually same jobs with same responsibilities, less competition, similar/higher pay, better benefits, better weather, higher quality of life (at least housing is possible with minimal effort) - in U.S./Canada. But you know what? This is why I'm drawn to employment in HK...as the carefree-ness in western societies really ticks me off especially in non-private sectors. Though I am afraid to find out the hard way that I would much prefer the latter..

better benefits
    Are you sure about that? HK does tend to look after its CS. The list of allowances, benefits puts a Jr EO compensation at quite a high starting point for a fresh grad.