Like Tree23Likes

Insufficient Notice period and threat to sue while abroad - what should I do?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Original Post Deleted
    No it'll be fine. Study time is always taken into account so no issues there.

Absence clearly. As regards the contract I'd say good luck in getting such a clause agreed with the labour dept. Had a previous employer trying to force a similarly stupid contract stipulation on me a few years back. We chewed them up and spat them out and claimed costs! No sympathy for stupidity in contracts especially with those companies we know border on legality.

gigglinggal likes this.

Original Post Deleted
    It's probably the OP's parent, not other half
    gigglinggal and rani like this.

Original Post Deleted
    I've never heard of a learning centre with a 6 month notice period. There are plenty of learning centres the OP could have worked for with a normal contract. I know plenty of teachers here and never heard of such terms. And for someone to blindly sign these terms is another thing.

Quote Originally Posted by jaykay:
    Absence clearly. As regards the contract I'd say good luck in getting such a clause agreed with the labour dept. Had a previous employer trying to force a similarly stupid contract stipulation on me a few years back. We chewed them up and spat them out and claimed costs! No sympathy for stupidity in contracts especially with those companies we know border on legality.
    Can you share more info on what happened?

To the OP,

You are worried about getting PR yet you just walked up and left HK. It sounds to me like HK is not your residence anymore and would thus reset your clock for PR. However as someone else said you might be able to claim time for education overseas.

Just ignore the situation and hope for the best. I can't remember what is the statue of limitations but I'm sure whoever is living at your address (spouse, parents) will let you know if a bad letter comes in the mail.

Considering you already left, that's your only option. If you fight this, you are looking at 10 visits to the tribunal and labour department over a period of 1-2 years. Highly doubt you have the funds and time to fly back and forth to deal with this.

Move on and let it go. Hope for the best. If you owe 6 months salary later then you owe it, should be less than hk$100k. Hopefully you'll earn more money in the future and that could be paid off in time if need be. Don't send letters touting your previous employer. It costs only a couple hundred HKD to take you to court and cause a lot of headache for you.

You wouldn't be called back into HK. But if it went to court, it is written within the laws that you could be blocked from leaving HK until the case is settled -- means if you ever transit through HK, could be problematic. I haven't heard of this happening to anyone though.