Like Tree20Likes

Getting a finance job in HK

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Getting a finance job in HK

I've seen that there are a lot of expats in HK working in the finance industry. It seems like it could be a lucrative profession to get into.

How would an expat get a finance job in HK? What are the qualifications, requirements, etc.?

Brilliant response!

Ok. Maybe I should have been more specific.

What I meant was is the process the same as in the West? Do expats get the jobs with companies based in their home countries and then transfer to HK? Do they apply to any HK finance companies from their home country or while in HK?

What is your background? Is it in finance/banking/insurance? What experience do you have as it relates to the 'finance' jobs? They make a lot of money.., but they also make you work your arse off for it. No free lunch!

z754103 likes this.

Assuming you are going in at the entry level (since you are not currently in the industry), you'd have next to zero chance of getting a new role in a Hong Kong without being in Hong Kong physically. Even being in Hong Kong, a job that will sponsor a work visa (assuming you need one) will also be difficult.

My advice would be to find a role in your home country and seek a transfer to HK once you are mid-level management.

Ssms and Global Expat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Ssms:
    What is your background? Is it in finance/banking/insurance? What experience do you have as it relates to the 'finance' jobs? They make a lot of money.., but they also make you work your arse off for it. No free lunch!
    My background / formal education / professional experience is not in finance / banking / insurance. It would be a career change if I were to pursue. I am, however, familiar with a lot of the terminology of the financial markets, and have kept up with the markets for almost 2 decades.

Agreed.., zero experience in the industry and then trying to find an entry level job.. having 20 years in something else.,. is going to be almost an impossible task.

Global Expat and jimbo like this.

Entry level you will have a hard time finding anything. You don't speak Chinese, you have little experience. Finding a job from your country is going to be impossible (believe me I tried and it led to nothing).
    In HK it's all about your network, so you need to be there and connect with people. The way I did was work for a company in your home country or wherever you are, then ask for a transfer. Not all companies like transferring people around, so you will need to work your ass off to justify this.

Also, you need a degree of a certain level in the area which you want to work. Understanding finance means nothing until you get real-life experience, everyone here bet and invest in stocks.

Ssms and Global Expat like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Global Expat:
    My background / formal education / professional experience is not in finance / banking / insurance. It would be a career change if I were to pursue. I am, however, familiar with a lot of the terminology of the financial markets, and have kept up with the markets for almost 2 decades.
    Insurance / "financial advisory" areas are less regulated and barriers to entry are lower.

What are you good at and how much stress can you handle and how good are you at "giving a shit" about people and their problems? <-- as in I am attempting humor, not laughing at you.
    Global Expat likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by Global Expat:
    and have kept up with the markets for almost 2 decades.
    Out of curiosity are you in your 30s or 40s?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast