Like Tree178Likes

Salary v/s Cost Of Living in HK

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast
    Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond:
    Salary does little in Hong Kong to improve the quality of life IMO. If we are talking about cost of living, most cities with strong job & property markets will be expensive too. Having said this, dollar-for-dollar, Hong Kong represents the poorest value:

- Dilapidated buildings
    - Narrow walkways overrun by zombies
    - Cars that are separated by nothing but a little space from the pavements
    - Lowest quality foods, produce and eating out options
    - People trying to stab your eyes out with their inconsiderate pointing. What's with all the pointing being done in Hong Kong? I can't understand this
    - Sharing tables and having no space
    - Rude service staff
    Man, change neighbourhoods. I experience none of that in mine.

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond:
    There is a reason why people who were bought up in Hong Kong are petit/ petite. It is poor nutrition. Let that sink in.
    Yes because Chinese in other countries are so much bigger. Thanks for the laugh.

Quote Originally Posted by DimSum88:
    Anyone finding it difficult to survive in HK with their salary and cost of living? I feel like I am near poverty level here whilst in cheaper places like US or Europe I could live much more comfortably...
    For a guy that posted he was earning 80k a month in 2015, that's an astonishing statement to say you are living like a hobo. Where do you live, and what do you spend your money on? You need to readjust the way you spend!

If OP got himself a local girlfriend that expects to be treated like a princess, yes that could be expensive.

Wow big panda. You remember. Yeah I got a few raises and a promo and still feel like I'm barely surviving.. HK problems...

I live in mid-levels.. living in a small 2 bedroom. I could get a house in SoCal for what I am paying

Wow big panda. You remember. Yeah I got a few raises and a promo and still feel like I'm barely surviving.. HK problems...

I live in mid-levels.. living in a small 2 bedroom. I could get a house in SoCal for what I am paying
    Living in a small apartment - You are just avoiding tax.

You could move to a cheaper district...
    Last edited by East_coast; 11-11-2018 at 05:14 AM.
    HK_Katherine and SuBae like this.

I live in mid-levels.
    Why?
    HK_Katherine likes this.

Reduce your rent ....if youre 80k+ and cant live comfortably then youre paying too much, rents are falling now anyway (even in central we were able to negotiate well below recent leases signed in the same building last month).

I second the rent issue- in general, I have tried to always live in much less than I could afford and then I don't stress about the odd extra unexpected expense or little luxury- and that is wherever I have lived, not just HK.

Original Post Deleted
    Agree. Every time I try to eat like a local - as I foolishly did last week - I end up with food poisoning.

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 13 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 10 ... LastLast