Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Like Tree12Likes

Teaching jobs for spouses on dependent visa

Teaching jobs for spouses on dependent visa

Hi
    I would be moving to Hong Kong with my husband and daughter. What are the chances of getting employed as a teacher in one of the ESF schools( for an Indian)?

What is the scope of working as a teaching assistant? Can one subsequently apply for a teaching position?

ESF teaching positions do require some minimum qualifications + some opaque issues and biases depending on the school.

I must say, I'm less aware of their recruitment these days compared to about a decade ago, when the principal played a major role. , I'd take a look at their recruitment site.

Things might have changed, but I am aware of one Indian (i.e. Indian ethnicity and from India) who works at an ESF school, they did do their PDGE quals in HK.

EA positions are usually easier if you don't have the required qualifications. I'd also consider other British / International schools for such roles. It is not uncommon for EA/TA jobs to be filled by parents of kids.

https://recruit.esf.edu.hk/jobinfo.asp?jid=3005991

Have a GeoExpat related problem - please create a support ticket.

Thank you.

If you want good advice at least tell us:

Your (teaching related) qualifications
    Teaching experience (if any!).

Kowloon Goon likes this.

DELF French certified. I have Masters in Human Resources. I have developed content related to Business English and ESL for a year. I have reviewed for essays for Pearson Smarthinking for American students for three years.

I have heard from sources that being a native speaker is an essential trait for teaching positions. It is very difficult for non-native speakers to get a teaching job. Is that true? Hence, I posed a question related to teaching assistant jobs.

There are many, many international schools outside the ESF network; some will accept teachers only if they speak to native English speaker standard with a particular accent, while others accept a variety of different accents.

Teaching/ Educational Assistant roles accept a wider variety of applicants - I have certainly come across TAs in various international schools with various noticeable accents from places as far apart as Philippines and Hungary. Just note that most if not all TA/ EA jobs only pay for the hours worked; no pay for holidays.

Thank you for your response. There is hope for me then..

Quote Originally Posted by pritha
    DELF French certified. I have Masters in Human Resources. I have developed content related to Business English and ESL for a year. I have reviewed for essays for Pearson Smarthinking for American students for three years.

Hi Pritha,

What level of DELF? I'd imagine you'd need DALF to be able to teach French as DALF starts at C1.

Were you recruited by a company to develop ESL content? It's not very clear what you mean. Or when you say 'develop' do you mean you taught Business English and EFL and made your own material?

Regarding non-native I guess there are several factors here that can affect your success rate such as colour of skin (unfortunately), nationality and accent. How is your accent in English? Do you have an English version of DELF like IELTS to prove your level?

No, I have not completed C1. What I was thinking is that I can work as a part time teaching assistant and study to complete my C1. I wanted to know how tough is it to get a job as a teaching assistant.. do they get paid? Yes, I was hired by a company to create content for topics related to Business English. This content was used by trainers (also hired by the firm) to train young professionals working in known Indian companies. I am not certified in DELF/IELTS English.
    Also, are there curriculum development /content development roles that can be considered by an Indian?

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast