How do I job hunt in HK from the UK?

Closed Thread

How do I job hunt in HK from the UK?

My partner and I are looking to move to Hong Kong and are struggling to find jobs. Does anyone have any websites or agents that they can recommend we try?

We both have degrees, are in our mid 20's, and are qualified accountants, (although we aren't restricting our search to just accountancy roles).

Neither of us can speak chinese, but we hear that this isn't necessarily a problem.

Searching for jobs in HK

Hi there,

For job hunting from UK you could try the following sites: www.jobsdb.com, www.careertimes.com.hk, and www.classifiedpost.com.

You can submit your CV and covering letters to apply for jobs as they come up. You will receive mails that will be from the recruiting companies as well which will allow you to submit your CV to them as well.

Happy job hunting!!

JK

Although speaking Chinese is not a problem, it does limit your opportunities. You will need to concentrate on UK / US / international firms like PWC but some clients will be chinese and your employer will expect some language skills, probably both mandarin and cantonese. There is also the problem of obtaining a work visa. You need a work visa before you can start to work (legally). To get a work visa, you need an employer to sponsor you. The employer will need to show why the position can not be filled by a local employee. So I suppose I am saying that there are many hurdles out there plus the economy is still quite low and employers are generally firing instead of hiring.
    But in saying all that GOOD LUCK.

In this case a professionally built on-line resume could be an advantage I believe. It could definitely make your application stand out. Currently I am building mine at http://sitekreator.com. The resume-website I am making is easy to update and circular around. Having in mind how often I am running late it'll give me the chance to update my resume in the very last minute + the employers won't have to face the virus threat of the regular attachments. I sincerely hope this contemporary way of presenting yourself will prove efficient for you guys, too.