Like Tree103Likes

Unplanned pregnancy for young HK teacher

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by HKTeacherInNeed
    Thanks for the insight.

I understand that I'm entitled to a maternity leave, but being the youngest staff member in my department, I can't help but feel frowned upon once my pregnancy bump starts to appear.

I want to avoid these negative feelings altogether, therefore I really want to press on with resigning.

My next question would be apart from giving my one month's notice, will the school require me to pay for any liquidated damages as a result of breach of contract?
    Hong Kong local schools are conservative places and people are always frowning and passing judgement on others for all sorts of things. It's not easy, but better for you to learn to rise above it and do what benefits you rather than colleagues who don't sound like they matter - besides, you don't even know if they are even going to judge you. Just as possible they too will avoid the matter, steadfastly ignore your bump and carry on with mundane work stuff because avoiding it is easier for them.

Look into counselling, you need support at tgis time. St John's has a sliding scale see system so it's affordable.

You haven't caused any trouble to the school.

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast
    Congratulations

Many many pregnancies are unplanned it really is not that unusual.

Your employer has no right to treat you differently because you are pregnant. Your personal life is your own and having a baby could never be considered as bringing the school into disrepute!!!

It is wonderful news and you should not worry about the school's reaction. SImple to say but you have the full weight of the law on your side.

As the poster above says you should take your legally entitled maternity leave and plan your next steps for after that time.
    It's not really just her business, since the school would have to bear the brunt of parents complaining and withdrawing their kids from the school.

Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex
    It's not really just her business, since the school would have to bear the brunt of parents complaining and withdrawing their kids from the school.
    That is the schools issue not hers. There are around 50,000 working single parents in Hong Kong. Are you suggesting employers have the right to fire those staff? Luckily there are employment laws to protect workers from bad employers and the person should use the law to protect herself and not be bullied into leaving.
    shafiq, MerMer, BCD and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex
    Holy SHIT!!! come on, its NOT like she has some sort of incurable disease like HIV positive or has AIDS. she just pregnant FFS.
    I dont think many parents will care about a junior teacher being pregnant.
    East_coast, shafiq, jrkob and 2 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by chuckster007
    Holy SHIT!!! come on, its NOT like she has some sort of incurable disease like HIV positive or has AIDS. she just pregnant FFS.
    I dont think many parents will care about a junior teacher being pregnant.

You clearly have never worked in education here. Schools can reject applicants for having AIDS./HIV. I've interviewed at places that bluntly ask if you have HIV./AIDS. Compulsory health checks aren't unheard of. Except by expats in their shiny bubbles. The threat isn't just the parents, it 's also other teachers/ non-teaching staff. You literally never know who is favourites with the head/principal. .

Yeah, shiny, shiny bubbles........................................... ..........

I understand the repercussions to come for me in the near future if I continue working for the school. I also understand that it is very irresponsible on my end and it really devastates me to have to cause trouble for the school.
    I'm very sorry I cannot answer your specific questions. But in my opinion, it is never "irresponsible" to have a child, and you should never feel devastated that about what "trouble" a pregnancy would cause for a school. If there is any "trouble" caused by it, that is wholly on them, not at all on you! It is your right to have a child.

I actually am not sure St. John's is a very good recommendation for women. I wish I knew of others, but Mother's Choice may be able to offer you guidance and also legal advice. I'm sure they would be happy to talk with you and offer you any assistance they could.

https://www.motherschoice.org/en/

If only we lived in a world where men went around saying they were irresponsible about pregnancies and needed to resign from their work! I understand how prestigious Band 1 schools are and that you might not be in a position to want to put up a protest against conservative, old fashioned "values", but I do wish you all the best and I hope you don't ever consider yourself irresponsible!
    BCD and spode like this.

That is the schools issue not hers. There are around 50,000 working single parents in Hong Kong. Are you suggesting employers have the right to fire those staff? Luckily there are employment laws to protect workers from bad employers and the person should use the law to protect herself and not be bullied into leaving.
    Once again living in your ivory tower disconnected from the real world... It looks like she's aware of her rights but is also aware that working in a religious school comes with certain expectations from parents, colleagues, admin and even kids. She may be entitled to keep her job but if it becomes hell because of the situation, it doesn't matter. She is the only one in a position to determine whether she wants to be in that environment. It is certainly for you nor me to say what she should or shouldn't do...
    juanalias likes this.

I would appreciate any advice/insight on what I should do to ease the resignation process. Also would like to know if I'll have to pay as form of liquidated damages to the school (I'm a HK resident). Thanks
    To get back on topic, your major concern is that if you resign early in your contract you will have to pay 5-6 months salary as a form of damages.

1. check what your contract has to say about leaving early
    2. Talk to principle and tell them you are pregnant, give hi/her the official doctors letter/note that you are pregnant, ask the principle that you intend to keep the baby but do now want to give trouble to the school and that you are willing to leave if the school doesnt claim damages, this might help get you out of the contract if they dont want you damaging the schools religious reputation etc etc

Anyways good luck and hope you got the hospital stuff sorted out for giving birth.

PS if you need any help/info my mrs works in the Obstetrics and Gynaecology Dept in PYNH (Eastern Hospital).

Hong Kong has a Fire at Will policy. They actually don't even need reason to fire you.

For the OP, check whether you are indeed violating anything that will make your position legally weaker. Plan for the worse always.

And have a chat to the Principal as time gets closer. It really isn't any of there business till you are ready to talk. But don't leave it until the baby is out.

Good luck. And try to find a way to build a family around you and your child. Do this for your child.
    SuBae likes this.

Maybe you are helping the school more by staying? Seems like the baby is maybe due in the summer, when school is over? Please do talk to the principal... Good luck!

East_coast likes this.

Page 2 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast