Like Tree103Likes

Unplanned pregnancy for young HK teacher

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast

Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. Im going to talk to them in a few days, just mentally preparing myself for the worst.

Ive done some calculating myself and realised that my maternity leave (if I start exactly 4 weeks before confinement) ends on the same week my contract does (days before the new school semester begins).

How would knowing this affect my employers decision for my case? Im just exploring every aspect of my situation. Given the choice, Id really prefer for them to ask me to resign.

East_coast and Elegiaque like this.

I think you underestimate your value to the school in finishing your contract as it is disruptive to bring in a substitute late into the school year. And employers can surprise you. Thirty years ago I had an unplanned pregnancy while working for the US government. Father was a coworker with the same supervisor. Rule was to transfer out the junior employees but my supervisor managed to keep me. We got married as this was another era but separated and divorced a year later. Yup, a LOT of awkwardness but I was also going to law school at night and work paid for most of it so I really couldn't leave. I made it through the stares and whispers and you can too!

Quote Originally Posted by HKTeacherInNeed
    Thanks everyone for the helpful advice. Im going to talk to them in a few days, just mentally preparing myself for the worst.
    Good luck and be strong.

Ive done some calculating myself and realised that my maternity leave (if I start exactly 4 weeks before confinement) ends on the same week my contract does (days before the new school semester begins).

How would knowing this affect my employers decision for my case? Im just exploring every aspect of my situation. Given the choice, Id really prefer for them to ask me to resign.
    It really is not possible to say what their reaction will be. As some have stated it could be not as bad as you think.

I would suggest that you do seek expert advice to help you prepare mentally for the meeting. And remember you do have the law on your side but it may be worth spending a bit of time familiarising yourself so you are more confident of where you stand in discussion with the boss. Make sure you have the right medical certificates before the meeting etc but again take proper advice. Quick guide below

https://www.labour.gov.hk/eng/faq/cap57h_whole.htm#q5
    Last edited by East_coast; 18-02-2019 at 11:03 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by angeluscomplex
    It's not really just her business, since the school would have to bear the brunt of parents complaining and withdrawing their kids from the school.
    Ignore this fool.

Please also take all advice here in the caring way it is intended, and act as you see fit. You've brought out the nice side of a lot of people here. From me, avoiding the possible scorn of naturally scornful people doesn't seem like a viable long-term plan. If you can muster the strength, let them whisper behind their hands.

Hi, just talked to a Chinese colleague and parent of preschool kid about what schools do...he said he had a teacher friend, also band 1 but not a religious school. Unmarried and pregnant. Stuck it out (eventually got married, guessing HK today is easily as conservative as the US 30 years ago), and is still working there (came back after maternity leave).

So if you like this job and decide you want to stick it out, you may still have a future...I have heard of people choosing to raise children in HK because of the availability of domestic helpers, a luxury unheard of in most Western countries at such a low price. Up to you and where you want to have your child/raise your child. Also guessing it depends somewhat on the father, if you want him to be involved, what his potential rights are, etc.

shri, East_coast and chuckster007 like this.

Despite being a first world region, hk has one of the worst employee protection laws, but fortunately pregnancy is the biggest shield for a pregnant woman. Knowing your condition, your organisation would be equally fearful of laying you off during this period.

I agree with others suggesting you to endure the unwanted stares etc for your and your kid's future.

Being a mother is a blessing. Wish you all the luck!

Last edited by Jaz Paul; 18-02-2019 at 01:58 PM.

Thanks for the insight.

I understand that I'm entitled to a maternity leave, but being the youngest staff member in my department, I can't help but feel frowned upon once my pregnancy bump starts to appear.

I want to avoid these negative feelings altogether, therefore I really want to press on with resigning.

My next question would be apart from giving my one month's notice, will the school require me to pay for any liquidated damages as a result of breach of contract?
    I don't see what's wrong with a 20 year old being pregnant. Now if you were 16 years old, I would think that's young. You could say that you got married overseas and had a small ceremony or something and start to wear a ring if you want to play the part. Say your hubby is overseas. High school sweethearts.

Quote Originally Posted by MandM!
    I don't see what's wrong with a 20 year old being pregnant. Now if you were 16 years old, I would think that's young. You could say that you got married overseas and had a small ceremony or something and start to wear a ring if you want to play the part. Say your hubby is overseas. High school sweethearts.
    No. It's nobody's business, and nobody's place to judge. Absolutely no need to fabricate stories when there is no need to offer stories in the first place.

I can't believe it's 2018.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque
    No. It's nobody's business, and nobody's place to judge. Absolutely no need to fabricate stories when there is no need to offer stories in the first place.

Nonetheless a brilliant idea. The school may play along and tell that to the parents.

Quote Originally Posted by Elegiaque
    Me either!

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 LastLast