Like Tree16Likes

Priced out of the market (finance jobs)?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 1 2

The best option for the candidate would appear to be one of the IFA firms in Hong Kong. Many still sponsor employment visas. Their turnover is extremely high but at least you will be in HK and can network into another opportunity, if you like.

Quote Originally Posted by biffski:
    The best option for the candidate would appear to be one of the IFA firms in Hong Kong. Many still sponsor employment visas. Their turnover is extremely high but at least you will be in HK and can network into another opportunity, if you like.
    Only choose this option if you want to have no friends.
    biffski and rs4 like this.

My experience is that it's much easier on the ground, but it's still very difficult for someone of your background.

You need find that manager which is looking to diversify his/her team away from a purely local team, perhaps because he/she himself is westerner. But prepare to wait for a long time and a lot of CVs sent without a single reply.

Quote Originally Posted by Kowloon Goon:
    Yes, now that I read it... Apologies.
    No worries, we are all trying to help the OP here.

A few suggestions:
    Speak to Manpower, Hays, Adecco and other recruiters/temp agencies to get a sense for whether you are marketable in finance in Hong Kong.
    Speak to the chambers of commerce/embassies of the various languages you speak
    Try the consulting businesses of Big 4 accounting firms

To answer your questions:
    IANG - Yes, it offers an advantage, because the employer doesn't need to sponsor a work visa (for the first year at least).

"Financial consulting" salary - I'm not sure what you're referring to here, but if it's insurance/investment products, the base salary is quite low, because it's mainly commission-based. Check the "salary guide" or “salary survey" put out by various recruitment firms for salary ranges

SuBae likes this.

Thank you all for the response, they are very helpful and has provided me an ideal expectation.