Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5
Like Tree64Likes

Breaking an employment contract - NET Teacher

Quote Originally Posted by merchantms
    But she's being asked to prepare lessons for other classes beyond her own. So she wouldn't be walking into a class with nothing to offer - but others would be I guess. If she says no I won't do it, then worst case she gets fired (better than quitting and paying the employer), or they leave her alone and she can survive working the remainder of the contract.
    Yes, that isn't "right" (though not at all surprising). But still, even what I said, 25 teaching hours, plus 2-3x that for preparation for her own lessons = 50-75 hours of weekly work. It's a trap you cannot avoid in ELT and the OP's partner should start to become aware of this and be prepared for these conditions when negotiating the next job.

I just wanted to post something to dispute a point you made. You said it was 'a small amount' for professional teachers to teach for 25 hours a week. I couldn't disagree more. It also shows a lack of understanding of what a teacher does.

Teachers providing high quality lessons can NOT teach in class for that many hours.

NUT surveys in the UK show that teachers in primary schools work for 19 hours in the classroom and secondary teachers work for 19.6 hours in the classroom.
    https://www.bbc.com/news/education-27087942

I think some people think teachers just walk into a classroom with no extra work and are home relaxing by 3.30pm. That couldn't be further from the truth. Lesson planning, marking, meetings and administration take a hell of a lot of time.

Please don't run down this profession.

That said...
    I hope you follow my advice and join the HKPTU. I know of colleagues who have gotten good legal advice when they have had legal disputes.
    Here's the flyer. It doesn't say the amount of time you get, but I think it's thirty minutes free and there's a big discount after this time.
    https://www2.hkptu.org/member/2018/intro-2018eng.pdf

Hey, for anyone interested or for new people who come across this thread and want to know the result - My partner has given her 3-month notice and will start a job in a proper school in August. The Learning centre management half-heartedly threatened the penalty clause but based on the advice here we thought it was a bluff, so she didn't give it any oxygen and they barely pursued it more than one passing mention.

To be sure, she secured a release letter signed by centre management.

Thanks again for all your help - hope this helps someone else if they end up in the same position!

jgl, shri, MABinPengChau and 2 others like this.

@TeachHK sorry I just realised I never replied to this. Great post (and article) and thank you for highlighting my inaccuracies. I would've liked to have thought I am the first person to champion the importance of teachers as a profession and the hours they have to put in, but it is always eye-opening how wrong assumptions can be.

Thanks for the update, I always appreciate it when people let the forum know what happened...

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2 3 4 5