IT Professional - Moving from Singapore - Salary Increase/Cost of Living

Closed Thread

@ 17K HKD, you'll be comfortable and find suitable accomodation in HK - esp for a single person. I'd not worry about it.

From what mental math I can do - I think your total cash compensation is split 70/30 basic/commission. That is quite normal. Make sure you don't have a commission cap (infact your commission %age should be tiered to compensate you for beating quota).

I don't see major problems with the numbers, as long as you can keep day to day costs down.

$50 per sq ft is a good indicator for rentals, more if you want outdoor space or very nicely decorated. This is for central/midlevels/sheung wan area.

It depends what you are looking for. But bachelor's style nice apartments typically run 25-30k. Some of my single friends are paying 40-50k per month for their bachelor pads with nice outdoor space.

You can go smaller for cheaper so depends on you.

So if you are working from home why 20 minutes MTR to Central? Is it because your meetings will mainly be there? Seems like if you have that kind of freedom by working at home and likely traveling around off-peak hours to clients, etc. you could live in a lot of different places? Of course, 20 minutes could even be a lot of places in Kowloon as well so you do have a lot of choice, I think your 25k budget is doable.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    So if you are working from home why 20 minutes MTR to Central?
    He is single and ready to mingle.

K Town is significantly better than the other two for going out (as a single guy).

Original Post Deleted
    Contributions

5% capped at HK$1500 per month for both employer and employee. (i.e. total of 10% capped at hk$3000 per month)

depends on what retirement plan the company offers to you.. many of the ORSO or company own customized plans require different contribution rates.. check with the HR