Like Tree2Likes
  • 1 Post By shri
  • 1 Post By East_coast

Flag Lapel Pins

Closed Thread

Post Flag Lapel Pins

Is it fine to put your own country flag lapel pins in your uniform - workplace especially when you work in the front liners e.g Food and Beverage / Front Office?

It's not politically correct IMO.

Quote Originally Posted by HongKong_Great:
    Is it fine to put your own country flag lapel pins in your uniform - workplace especially when you work in the front liners e.g Food and Beverage / Front Office?
    How does it help the customer?

Quote Originally Posted by East_coast:
    How does it help the customer?
    Many multinational organistions do encourage or mandate it. At the minimum it shows how international their staff and reach is and the benefit to a customer might be knowing that the person dealing with them might speak their language.

Not done the international five star circuit in a while, but I do think either or both the intercon and Hyatt used to identify their reception staff with flags or country idenfiers.
    Elegiaque likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    I do think either or both the intercon and Hyatt used to identify their reception staff with flags or country idenfiers.
    Yep - I was recently in Hyatt in Japan, and the guy in the reception when I checked out had a Taiwan flag on the lapel - because he spoke Mandarin.

For the hospitality industry it might be OK. But if you work in other sectors I think it's non PC if your peers don't wear the same.

Not sure if its PC, but you could always go with a "friendship flag" pin. Here is a US/HK one

https://www.crossed-flag-pins.com/Fr...-Kong-USA.html

Dude if you wear that in the current environment and step foot in the mainland you might subject yourself to an ass whooping. While it's a great pin displaying your political stance in the wrong place is not a good idea.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Many multinational organistions do encourage or mandate it. At the minimum it shows how international their staff and reach is and the benefit to a customer might be knowing that the person dealing with them might speak their language.

Not done the international five star circuit in a while, but I do think either or both the intercon and Hyatt used to identify their reception staff with flags or country idenfiers.
    I understand the language aspect. Nationality is not important. Used to see people with 2-3 pins on their lapel.

Perhaps some ISO 693-2 lapel pins are needed

Last edited by East_coast; 19-08-2019 at 09:51 PM.
    Elefant&Castle likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by RMDNC:
    Dude if you wear that in the current environment and step foot in the mainland you might subject yourself to an ass whooping. While it's a great pin displaying your political stance in the wrong place is not a good idea.
    That's why you have a China/home country one for mainland. You would have to be pretty dumb to rock that pin trying to enter mainland. I personally don't wear one. I also keep separate phone and laptop for travel to mainland.