• 1 Post By cookie09
  • 1 Post By Elefant&Castle
  • 1 Post By jrkob
  • 1 Post By aceofangel
  • 2 Post By snjt

Misdemeanor Convictions and Banking Background Check

Misdemeanor Convictions and Banking Background Check

Hello everyone,

I'm a financial services consultant and will be transferring from the US office to the Hong Kong office within the next few months. Hong Kong visa is approved and start date in Hong Kong is confirmed.

My concern is this - Over 10 years ago I was convicted of misdemeanor driving offenses in the US. Basically being reckless on a motorcycle I had in college. I will be on the bank's client site in Hong Kong and suspect I will have to go through a background check on their end before being allowed to work. Will I have an issue getting cleared because of my misdemeanors in the US? Does the Hong Kong bank's background check even check my US history?

PS I went through the background check for the bank's US office and was cleared to work. Just wondering if things will be different on the Hong Kong end.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Don’t worry , will be a non issue

chuckster007 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09
    Don’t worry , will be a non issue
    Thanks for your reply.

I'm a bit overly analytical and may worry too much about things. Does anyone know if the banks in Hong Kong do international background checks (checking my US criminal record)? I believe banks have an obligation to perform thorough background checks under HKMA regulations.

My concern is that I will move to Hong Kong and then get rejected from the banks that I'll be doing consulting for. It would be a really bad situation effectively not being able to work in Hong Kong and I'm sure my employer would terminate me and send me back to the US.

I'm just not sure how Hong Kong banks view my misdemeanors. Although they are traffic related, they are technically 'crimes' in the US and therefore I have a criminal record.

I'll reach out to Hong Kong HR as a last resort. Just don't want to freak them out before I do as much as I can on my own.

I'd be more worried if the direction of travel was into US.

https://www.ft.com/content/82c80744-...d-b42f641eca37

MandM! likes this.

The background check that will be run on you is about offenses involving deception. Aka, white collar crimes like bribery, money laundering etc. This is because this may you disqualify you from getting a licence from HKMA/SFC,which as a financial consultant, you will need.

These regulatory bodies don't care about your careless driving offense. You'll be fine. Don't lie about it.

Last edited by jrkob; 07-11-2019 at 10:26 PM.
    MandM! likes this.

If everyone who had bar fights, recreational drugs, driving, and other misdemeanor offenses were prevented from working in finance, there wouldn’t be many people left.

I would at most disclose it and write a brief explanation and wouldn’t worry any more about it.

MandM! likes this.

should be ok but anyway do not lie on your application

Banks are accepting of past mistakes but have 0 tolerance to liars

jrkob and MandM! like this.

And if he already lied about it, what would you recommend? =D

Quote Originally Posted by jrkob
    The background check that will be run on you is about offenses involving deception. Aka, white collar crimes like bribery, money laundering etc. This is because this may you disqualify you from getting a licence from HKMA/SFC,which as a financial consultant, you will need.

These regulatory bodies don't care about your careless driving offense. You'll be fine. Don't lie about it.
    Agree with this, deception including fraud, stealing, lying are the key things that are being looked at.