Like Tree34Likes

Interview advice - Red flags or Normal

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09
    Sorry Coolboy that is really bad advice. I am not saying that companies don't act like jerks but i think there is immense value in going for interviews, especially when - like the OP - you don't have much experience. every interview is an excellent training ground.

to the OP i have two questions:
    - why did you chase the details and not trust them? you only need the details one day before the interview really, so this made you look desperate and i wonder whether they picked up on that
    - secondly why did you ask for the salary range? you said this is a management position, i have never heard of a company that would give out a salary range except for very low level jobs
    Fair enough, not every situation is the same.
    cookie09 and rkenia852 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by cookie09
    to the OP i have two questions:
    - why did you chase the details and not trust them? you only need the details one day before the interview really, so this made you look desperate and i wonder whether they picked up on that
    - secondly why did you ask for the salary range? you said this is a management position, i have never heard of a company that would give out a salary range except for very low level jobs
    they said they'd email me right away. I guess I expected them to follow what they said *shrugs*. I see what you're saying but it's such a large company I doubt the hiring manager even got wind i was calling so much

as for the salary range - my experience is different. normally in HK they will ask what salary you are looking for or advertise a package (obviously there are exceptions too). Neither was done so I wanted to initiate the conversation so no one wasting time

OK my two bobs worth :
    I have been in that situation and one local company really jerked me around in the interview and spun things out :
    It did give me a comparitor for another group who were awesome in the recruitment process : anyway went with those guys and over 10years later still with them.
    Oh yeah and I haven't stopped slagging off the jerks from company x since .
    So if you do go just treat it as a learning experience on what and how to avoid jerks

AsianXpat0 likes this.

I don't get this... they arranged an interview, three/four guys sitting there just to waste their time to entertain someone they have zero intention of hiring and just wanted to put you down ? the equation doesn't look right and they are obviously wasting more time than yourself..

Interviews are one of the ways your potential manager/hiring company see how you handle situation and how you behave in adversity.. there are no set manuals on what questions are to be asked or how they should be answered (but i guess in hk there are questions that are not supposed to be asked)... Its up to you to convince the hiring manager that you are worth the job and even if they have already identified someone (e.g. internal), they would rethink about their options and maybe even slot you somewhere that are better fitting.

Over my career of hiring people and being hired, it happens ample times.. Especially the juniorer staff or junior managers. Sometimes we create a spot because we find someone worth the additional cost/risk/effort. Sometimes I get called back for chats with other managers that the HR staff thinks is worth speaking to me even though i didn't applied for the job initially.

Like OP has said, he/she has no idea what the culture of the company is and how they work. Then interview is the best place to find out instead of speculating in a forum...

hongkong7 and TaD_LaLa like this.

My 2 cents - depending on the company and the way their talent acquisition works, it might be a combination of the recruiter responsible for the role you are applying for is overworked, demotivated, working out notice(!), or has been on holiday over xmas and new year and still trying to catch up with emails etc.

It might also be the hiring manager has been on hols, hence the delay. If the role is currently vacant the existing team are probably in over their heads.

That being said, this experience is probably a taste of things to come after you join, so bear that in mind.

On the compensation side of things, do you have a realistic number in mind below which you wouldnt consider the role? If so it's worth being realistic on this and just walk away if they cant offer it. I assume you have knowledge of the labour market in what you do so you would know what is reasonable or not. You can also ask for details of employee benefits which should be standardised in any case. In a big company these things are typically included in a job/role acquisition so they should have that information.

Do you have job description now? it's worth asking for one in any case.

More widely, agree that interview practice is always good. Whether that is worth 1/2 day of annual leave on your part is your call. Most companies, especially the big ones, I know would accommodate at least the first interviews with HR etc after 6pm. If they dont, again it's worth asking whether this is the kind of corporate culture you would like. Some would, some wouldnt. Again your personal choice!

Anyways my 2 cents. Good luck with the application and ongoing job hunt in any case!

hongkong7, Coolboy and LifeInHK like this.

Quote Originally Posted by twelve98
    Hi All - dont have much experience looking for a job in HK so was wondering on people's opinion on this.

Applied for a management role at a very well known local (HK) company. Got a call a couple of weeks later for an interview the following week. The HR (I assume) lady said she would email the details. Two days go by and I didnt receive an email. Tried calling the number she called me from but no one picked up. Then tried the company's general line and was given the run around and the usual "leave your details with us and we'll call you back" routine. This went on for about a week until i finally found someone after my 5-6th call.

Now I have my interview details however they won't tell me the salary range - saying "the budget has not been finalized". I feel there's zero chance that's true.

To top it all off, their reviews on glassdoor are pretty bad. I've worked for another big local (semi-govt) company once before and barely lasted 2 months because the culture/politics were so bad and this bringing back some PSTD. Is there any upside to going to this?
    Probably worth going to just for the interview experience if they will arrange an interview during a lunch break or after hours, otherwise forget it.

For the information form requesting references, the standard reply is "references will be provided later upon request" i.e. if they're serious enough to progress to the end of the interview series and offer you a position.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier
    I don't get this... they arranged an interview, three/four guys sitting there just to waste their time to entertain someone they have zero intention of hiring and just wanted to put you down ? the equation doesn't look right and they are obviously wasting more time than yourself..
    Do you work for a local company or just some multinational? Because a) local companies: not all of them are all that productive and use their time wisely anyway, and they sometimes need an outlet for their frustration, what better way than to screw some interviewee around. And b) you are assuming all local companies have a well-thought out interview process with dedicated and experienced HR staff, from my own experience, that is far from all cases.

So bottom line, sure, the OP should try the interview and see how it goes. But if it goes badly, well...

I understand different industries have different processes, but in the one I'm familiar with I try to hire people quickly, politely and efficiently, and I expect the same from a potential employer. If you can't even pretend to be interested, then I won't waste my time on you.

I have had many good and bad experiences; generally I am fed up with long forms, IQ tests and personality tests, and I won't interview with companies who use them. I won't interview with companies who jerk me around. I won't interview with or pursue companies who give unrealistic salary estimates.

For all of the above, yes, I've broken those rules when I was desperate, and I've usually come to regret it. The only thing I have some respect for is that a company may need some more time after an interview before signing. That's ok. But jerking around even before the interview results in a healthy scratch in my book.

Having said that, I do second what others said and if you haven't seen many of these interviews, then do it anyway. Just don't chase them, and don't expect anything to come from it.

Coolboy and AsianXpat0 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy
    So bottom line, sure, the OP should try the interview and see how it goes. But if it goes badly, well...
    22% of all posts in this thread so far, with a 180 degree turn of opinion within the space of 70 minutes.

Fairly typical morning on the forum so far.

Quote Originally Posted by jgl
    22% of all posts in this thread so far, with a 180 degree turn of opinion within the space of 70 minutes.

Fairly typical morning on the forum so far.
    And that's typical drivel from you. I am simply open to different opinions, unlike you who can never tolerate any posts I make because I pissed you off. Unlike you, I don't judge someone because of who he or she is on here, I judge them by the posts they make. See, I can even "like" posts you make if you make a good post, but you would never do the same to me, because you are inherently biased and prejudicial against me. That's the difference between you and me. I don't judge posters on here simply because they disagree with me, I judge them by the quality of their posts, perhaps you should do the same, for the sake of your credibility on here.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast