Like Tree32Likes

Interview advice - Red flags or Normal

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy
    Do you work for a local company or just some multinational? Because a) local companies: not all of them are all that productive and use their time wisely anyway, and they sometimes need an outlet for their frustration, what better way than to screw some interviewee around. And b) you are assuming all local companies have a well-thought out interview process with dedicated and experienced HR staff, from my own experience, that is far from all cases.

So bottom line, sure, the OP should try the interview and see how it goes. But if it goes badly, well...
    Interesting : I had precisely that experience with the local company : for my interview I was sent to see the top old guy who built the company . Well it became quite clear he was after information about his competitors and the state of play of the market : all without any darn intention to hire : anyway they have a continual high turnover and have lost position well and truly these10year : so maybe a correlation or causation between poor recruitment sharp practice and success
    I was able to contrast the other interview where after check my qualifications threw a Chinese newspaper across the desk had me read it out in front of everyone and next morning called you're in : that sort of no bull approach did get loyalty from me till now :
    Last edited by hongkong7; 14-01-2020 at 11:22 AM.
    Coolboy, CharSiuNow and twelve98 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by hongkong7
    Interesting : I had precisely that experience with the local company : for my interview I was sent to see the top old guy who built the company . Well it became quite clear he was after information about his competitors and the state of play of the market : all without any darn intention to hire : anyway they have a continual high turnover and have lost position well and truly these10year : so maybe a correlation or causation between poor recruitment sharp practice and success
    Exactly, which is why I cautioned OP about what he or she can potentially expect. Now to be fair, not all local companies are like that. Many do have a carefully planned interview process with good HR staff on hand. And somtimes it is necessary to test the interviewee with tough or even trick questions to gauge how he will deal with challenging scenarios. But I have also seen too many cases, including from my own experience, where interviews are done with ulterior motives or simply done in a slipshod manner or just out to screw the interviewee. So I've grown a bit cynical with the whole process.
    Last edited by Coolboy; 14-01-2020 at 11:39 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy
    Yeah, personal experience. I was in your situation once. Had some interview offers but then the HR people there suddenly became reluctant to disclose infomation. Then when I actually got to the interview, it was simply a session where the interviwers throw barbs and insults at you. I don't see what value you can learn from that.

But as cookie9 said, maybe that is just my own personal experience and you should just go attend the interview and see what happens. After all, not every situation is the same.
    Throw the insults straight back at them. They won't know what to do because they're used to docile interviewees who just sit there and take it. At a minimum it's entertainment for yourself and sometimes they respect you for having the guts to stand up for yourself and end up taking you seriously.
    Coolboy and twelve98 like this.

Thanks for all the perspective and insights. As well as other comments from friends I don't think there's much upside to attending other than 'interview experience'. The company doesn't seem like a good fit for me from what I can gather.

Coolboy and hongkong7 like this.

Quote Originally Posted by twelve98
    Thanks for all the perspective and insights. As well as other comments from friends I don't think there's much upside to attending other than 'interview experience'. The company doesn't seem like a good fit for me from what I can gather.
    Then don't go, it would be wasting your time.
    twelve98 likes this.

I working for a local firm with overseas exposure.
    But i have also interviewed over the years with diff companies.. locals, global, government, semi-government, etc...

In fact the guys that tend to 'extract' competitor info are usually foreign (banks, ok maybe not that fair to compare these, but...)..
    Then again my skill sets are unique so maybe nobody wants to fool around with that...

so end of the day its all case by case... even a bad company you might meet good managers that can teach you and help develop your career path.. so why be so rigid about it.. if things are so simple then the bad companies would have closed down years ago since they will never get to hire anyone good.. but if they are there then they must be doing something decent and probably right

I recalled my first job in the banks was a local bank in singapore.. and all my friends were shocked when i told them i took that job instead of another one on offer (a more internationalized singaporean bank).. true to fact, system were worse, red tapes, less capable staff... but its also where i learnt the most as i had to do things on my own and get it from start to end.. These are experience you will never get once you jump to a specialized role in a MNC where profit is all that counts....

Last edited by freeier; 14-01-2020 at 12:13 PM.

Having been on both sides of the job interview table over the years, I agree that some interviews are a waste of time ... for both the employer and the prospective employee.

However, one point in the earlier posts on this thread that I found interesting was the comments about interviewees being asked about competitors etc. This was fundamental to most interviews – I expected anyone looking to work for me to have a good understanding of the market, to know who our competitors were and at least some basics about the market we operate in and the services we (and our competitors) offer. If someone can't demonstrate that they can talk about these things then it shows either that they don't know enough about what's going on to be a good hire or (for people new to HK or still at university), they haven't bothered to do the research.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor
    Having been on both sides of the job interview table over the years, I agree that some interviews are a waste of time ... for both the employer and the prospective employee.

However, one point in the earlier posts on this thread that I found interesting was the comments about interviewees being asked about competitors etc. This was fundamental to most interviews – I expected anyone looking to work for me to have a good understanding of the market, to know who our competitors were and at least some basics about the market we operate in and the services we (and our competitors) offer. If someone can't demonstrate that they can talk about these things then it shows either that they don't know enough about what's going on to be a good hire or (for people new to HK or still at university), they haven't bothered to do the research.
    i think what meant was the interviewer asking about the employee's current company business activities and profits..etc.. very very common for banks hiring off competitors.

Quote Originally Posted by freeier
    i think what meant was the interviewer asking about the employee's current company business activities and profits..etc.. very very common for banks hiring off competitors.
    Non-public information about a person's employee is confidential so that would be a question that should be neither asked nor answered. Apologies if I misread the original posts.
    Coolboy and shri like this.

Quote Originally Posted by traineeinvestor
    Non-public information about a person's employee is confidential so that would be a question that should be neither asked nor answered. Apologies if I misread the original posts.
    I've never once heard of that in any of the interviews I've been to, conducted or heard from second hand. I don't think it's common at all.

Having the candidate demonstrate a good knowledge of the role and competitive landscape is another matter entirely.
    traineeinvestor likes this.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3