Like Tree34Likes

Interview advice - Red flags or Normal

Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast
  1. #1

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    23

    Interview advice - Red flags or Normal

    Hi All - dont have much experience looking for a job in HK so was wondering on people's opinion on this.

    Applied for a management role at a very well known local (HK) company. Got a call a couple of weeks later for an interview the following week. The HR (I assume) lady said she would email the details. Two days go by and I didnt receive an email. Tried calling the number she called me from but no one picked up. Then tried the company's general line and was given the run around and the usual "leave your details with us and we'll call you back" routine. This went on for about a week until i finally found someone after my 5-6th call.

    Now I have my interview details however they won't tell me the salary range - saying "the budget has not been finalized". I feel there's zero chance that's true.

    To top it all off, their reviews on glassdoor are pretty bad. I've worked for another big local (semi-govt) company once before and barely lasted 2 months because the culture/politics were so bad and this bringing back some PSTD. Is there any upside to going to this?


  2. #2

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,903
    Quote Originally Posted by twelve98
    Hi All - dont have much experience looking for a job in HK so was wondering on people's opinion on this.

    Applied for a management role at a very well known local (HK) company. Got a call a couple of weeks later for an interview the following week. The HR (I assume) lady said she would email the details. Two days go by and I didnt receive an email. Tried calling the number she called me from but no one picked up. Then tried the company's general line and was given the run around and the usual "leave your details with us and we'll call you back" routine. This went on for about a week until i finally found someone after my 5-6th call.

    Now I have my interview details however they won't tell me the salary range - saying "the budget has not been finalized". I feel there's zero chance that's true.

    To top it all off, their reviews on glassdoor are pretty bad. I've worked for another big local (semi-govt) company once before and barely lasted 2 months because the culture/politics were so bad and this bringing back some PSTD. Is there any upside to going to this?
    Looks like the company is just jerking you around, if I were you, I'll forget about the interview unless you are desperate for this job.
    biffski likes this.

  3. #3

    Join Date
    Nov 2005
    Location
    Cramped island
    Posts
    3,883

    I kind of think that it is very company dependent.. and it also depends on whether you are the first person or the last person in the list of guys they are interviewing.. there might be reasons why they want to drag on... etc..

    really case by case... no outright answer...


  4. #4

    Join Date
    Oct 2010
    Posts
    19,328
    Quote Originally Posted by twelve98
    Hi All - dont have much experience looking for a job in HK so was wondering on people's opinion on this.

    Applied for a management role at a very well known local (HK) company. Got a call a couple of weeks later for an interview the following week. The HR (I assume) lady said she would email the details. Two days go by and I didnt receive an email. Tried calling the number she called me from but no one picked up. Then tried the company's general line and was given the run around and the usual "leave your details with us and we'll call you back" routine. This went on for about a week until i finally found someone after my 5-6th call.

    Now I have my interview details however they won't tell me the salary range - saying "the budget has not been finalized". I feel there's zero chance that's true.

    To top it all off, their reviews on glassdoor are pretty bad. I've worked for another big local (semi-govt) company once before and barely lasted 2 months because the culture/politics were so bad and this bringing back some PSTD. Is there any upside to going to this?
    No harm to go to the interview. You say you don't have much experience looking for new jobs, so use this as an opportunity. Ask plenty of questions, try to get a feel for the culture during your first interview. If it goes well and you might be interested but have concerns about the culture then ask to meet some of your potential colleagues at any subsequent interviews - coffee or lunch maybe. Gives you a chance to see the people you'll be working with and if you're a good fit or not.

    Not much to lose - if they are jerks or the culture seems very poor - walk away, you've invested nothing more than a few hours of your time .

  5. #5

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,903

    Trust me OP, if they wanted to interview you with the intention of hiring you, they will be a lot more prompt with the details. However, the present situation show they have other candidates in mind. As for still going to the interview, I advised not, the interviewers will likely have little interest assessing you and may just screw you around with nasty questions or downright insults. You would be nothing more than a punching bag of the interviewers, I don't see what you can learn from that.


  6. #6

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    No harm to go to the interview. You say you don't have much experience looking for new jobs, so use this as an opportunity.

    Should of said not much experience applying for jobs from scratch - most of the jobs i've had have been via referral etc.

    Quote Originally Posted by TheBrit
    Not much to lose - if they are jerks or the culture seems very poor - walk away, you've invested nothing more than a few hours of your time .
    I'd likely have to take half a day leave. Plus they have this crazy exhaustive form they want me to fill in including references etc. You can tell which way i'm leaning....

  7. #7

    Join Date
    Apr 2015
    Posts
    23
    Quote Originally Posted by Coolboy
    Trust me OP, if they wanted to interview you with the intention of hiring you, they will be a lot more prompt with the details. However, the present situation show they have other candidates in mind. As for still going to the interview, I advised not, the interviewers will likely have little interest assessing you and may just screw you around with nasty questions or downright insults. You would be nothing more than a punching bag of the interviewers, I don't see what you can learn from that.
    interesting perspective - is this based on personal experience?

  8. #8

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,319

    Sorry Coolboy that is really bad advice. I am not saying that companies don't act like jerks but i think there is immense value in going for interviews, especially when - like the OP - you don't have much experience. every interview is an excellent training ground.

    to the OP i have two questions:
    - why did you chase the details and not trust them? you only need the details one day before the interview really, so this made you look desperate and i wonder whether they picked up on that
    - secondly why did you ask for the salary range? you said this is a management position, i have never heard of a company that would give out a salary range except for very low level jobs

    Coolboy likes this.

  9. #9

    Join Date
    Aug 2009
    Posts
    2,319
    Quote Originally Posted by twelve98

    I'd likely have to take half a day leave. Plus they have this crazy exhaustive form they want me to fill in including references etc. You can tell which way i'm leaning....
    there's your perfect tool to figure out how much they want you. give them a reasonable time where you don't have to take half day off and tell them that you will fill in the form once a mutual path/meeting of minds has been established. then you see how much interest there really is
    twelve98 likes this.

  10. #10

    Join Date
    Jun 2019
    Posts
    1,903
    Quote Originally Posted by twelve98
    interesting perspective - is this based on personal experience?
    Yeah, personal experience. I was in your situation once. Had some interview offers but then the HR people there suddenly became reluctant to disclose infomation. Then when I actually got to the interview, it was simply a session where the interviwers throw barbs and insults at you. I don't see what value you can learn from that.

    But as cookie9 said, maybe that is just my own personal experience and you should just go attend the interview and see what happens. After all, not every situation is the same.
    twelve98 likes this.

Reply
Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast