Like Tree28Likes

Why do employers ask for previous salary?

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by twelve98:
    It's a very asian/HK thing. It basically gives all leverage to the hiring company. I've seen places that ask for payslips/previous employment contracts - that would never fly in the west
    It's more common to ask in the Middle East I still inflate it and let them know. If they ask to see my pay slip of previous employment I'll tell them to shove it.

Sometimes it can work in your favor. I was offered a similar package by a company in the middle east, during negotiations I asked whether they would like to see my previous pay slip, they were like no no no I trust you

I've been asked my previous and expected salary every time in HK. I was once asked for my payslip, I said no, they said no interview without payslip because it's standard procedure, I said no problem tell them I'm not interested if this is standard procedure for them. I was initially interested because I'd work again with a former colleague in the States. After all this I messaged him and asked if they did things this way there and he laughed and asked if I was serious.

I think this and my refusal to meet recruiters for coffee before they send me any real info about the job at hand has probably hurt my chances in HK, but I refuse to play these sorts of games. I also don't like the power imbalance it creates between jobseekers and recruiters. Recruiters must be wired to the eyeballs if they really have that many coffees with 'candidates'.

Skyhook, cwd, LifeInHK and 1 others like this.

If any employer/recruitment agent asked for payslips/evidence...tell them goodbye.

Employers and Agencies can ask for whatever they like, but its only because they want to have the upper hand in any negotiation. My advice is that if you are approached for a role, ask what they salary range is for the role, then you will know where you stand. If you apply for a role, still ask this question. Your current salary has zero relationship to the role in question.
    And my last bit of advice is this..never ever ever ever trust agents to do anything that is in your interests, they dont work for you but are working for the company.

LifeInHK likes this.

I would be interested to know what line of work this was in because its something that I have never seen before.

I've been asked current salary and expected salary. Expected is more reasonable because I require a pay raise if I'm going to leave a steady job. My current salary is irrelevant as there's not as much risk in staying put.

Needs must????? I would have thought that the main criteria wouldn't have been salary but experience and suitability for the role.

rkenia852 likes this.

I once took a very underpaid job at a startup. Some recruiters contacted me about other jobs. I asked the range. They asked me my current and expected salary. I chose higher end of the range. "Oh, but that's over 20%, it's impossible". Mind-blowing stupidity.

In any situation simply ask what is the salary range for this role, if the recruiter cannot or is unwilling then something is wrong.

LifeInHK likes this.

If you have great CV or bargain power . You can1 do whatever. If not most likely the cv will be screen out.