Like Tree28Likes

Why do employers ask for previous salary?

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

Quote Originally Posted by NewtoHK11:
    If any employer/recruitment agent asked for payslips/evidence...tell them goodbye.
    Though I do not like the fact that they ask for payslip (basically showing that they don't trust the interviewee), it is quite a common practice.

I know someone who was offered 50% higher salary in the next job, but still they requested payslip.
    I have no idea why--might be just a documentation purpose that they must "tick".

They want to check:

1. Whether they are overpaying for a product
    2. What other companies are paying

It's why we like to check purchase history for a home and transaction prices around the neighborhood.

They will always base it on last salary drawn. If not, best be thinking more about the job

Quote Originally Posted by DimSumBond:
    They want to check:

1. Whether they are overpaying for a product
    2. What other companies are paying

It's why we like to check purchase history for a home and transaction prices around the neighborhood.

They will always base it on last salary drawn. If not, best be thinking more about the job
    Perhaps they could agree you'll show them a previous payslip *after* you've started work with them and salary is negotiated etc. They get the intel, without causing an imbalance in your negotiation.

I know in my industry, pay varies enormously for the same job/work, but they'll soon realise if they're not offering enough.

Same reason you check the price tag when you buy something. Except you are not wearing a tag on your forehead. They have to do price discovery somehow someway.

Simple..you ask what is the salary range for the role, if they wont tell you then they are not in a position to offer you any role.