Like Tree28Likes

Why do employers ask for previous salary?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Quote Originally Posted by dmzmc:
    I used when I had hundreds of applications for one job as one of the ways of reducing the numbers. If their current/previous salary was considerably higher than I was offering then they got dumped (unless there was something else really interesting about them). Highly unscientific but when you are sifting through a few hundred applications needs must.

Name:  image.jpg
Views: 1115
Size:  25.6 KB
    hongkong7 likes this.

To ensure that the expectations of both company and potential employee are broadly aligned.

So that they make sure they don't offer more than 20% increase. If you're underpaid vs. market where you are now, they'll get you as a bargain.

Quote Originally Posted by HK_Katherine:
    To ensure that the expectations of both company and potential employee are broadly aligned.
    If that's why, shouldn't they ask you what your *expected* salary is, not what your current salary is?
    cwd, merchantms, rkenia852 and 1 others like this.

Quote Originally Posted by dmzmc:
    So they can exclude right off the bat the candidates that are out of budget...
    They should ask for *expected* salary though, but ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
    shri and rkenia852 like this.

I've heard some employers will ask for payslips, is that true? In which case, it sounds like they're using it as a way to avoid paying more than the minimum they think they can get away with. Otherwise an expected salary should be sufficient.

Personally, I feel it's none of their business, and my current pay is between me and my employer.

rkenia852 likes this.

It's a very asian/HK thing. It basically gives all leverage to the hiring company. I've seen places that ask for payslips/previous employment contracts - that would never fly in the west

biffski and rkenia852 like this.

We ask for both current and expected compensation details to ensure we don’t offer below the candidates current compensation level and also so that we can be aware of the exact detail of existing earnings. some candidates will lump in allowances and any benefits they currently receive to calculate their expected salary, which could result in us rejecting them if we think we cannot afford them, if we have total breakdown we can look at each component individually. It is categorically not our intention to try to lowball candidates

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast