Like Tree98Likes

Corona Virus - No Paid Leave / Redundancy Questions

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8

Quote Originally Posted by GreenCatalonia
    Cook prawns in Tomato sauce and place the used shells into obscure places - like curtain rails - etc --> that will make 'em hard to discover, and will stink out the flat if you are forced to lose your deposit !

Now, SWMBO & I have never done this - we've owned our flats for the best part of 40 years!

But it is the ultimate "Atomic Bomb" against recalcitrant landlords/ladies.

Nota Bene: this ain't my original idea - I read of this action here/somewhere else !!

YMMV.

Lousy tenant odds on probably a lousy employee as well.

To the OP, I’m assuming you’re on a sponsored visa. If that’s the case then the Labour Dept should be able to help/advise because when your employer sponsors your visa they are telling Immigration you’ll be earning a minimum monthly salary. If they are failing to do this then they can get in the shit with Immigration and will have problems sponsoring teachers in future.

Speaking from experience, this is how I got round the same situation as you and my employer had to make up the difference for all the months I was paid less.

This is only an option if you want them to terminate your employment - they won’t want you back, you’ll need to either find another job or leave HK.

Last edited by simon; 21-02-2020 at 02:53 PM.
    TheBrit and AmyMi like this.

Quote Originally Posted by HK-Teacher
    - they will keep my deposit (pretty much my entire savings)
    - they will penalise me 18000 hkd for leaving early
    - they intend to bill me for the remaining months on my contract
    For the penalty, is that at all stated in your tenancy agreement? Assuming you signed a legal document with your landlord of course. Your first and last point there sound expected for breaking a lease early, but adding a penalty on top of retaining your full deposit sounds really shady.

If there isn't any mention of of an exit penalty, tell them to shove it, honestly. They cannot make you pay anything extra regardless of what they come up with to justify it - that's what your deposit is for.

Remember to document, document, document. Take a million photos of your living space if you vacate. Timestamp everything. Get statements from neighbours. Take screenshots of any communication you have from them. If they try and threaten you with this penalty nonsense again you should have enough to get them to back down or to lawyer up.

For the lease itself, the best thing to do would be to try and get someone to take over the lease in your place. That way, you get your deposit back, and you won't pay any more rent. It might be worth offering it up at a discount, that way you at least save most of your rent money as opposed to losing all of it.

Thanks for your response! That's exactly the way I saw it but wanted to double check with people in other areas.

Post No pay leaves

Are the expat can take no pay leaves because of this current situation?

Each frm has its own policies.

Hey all
    An update in case any one is interested...
    I left Hong Kong and am now back 'home' for the time being. By some miracle (and after I sent an extremely fiery email) my landlord completely changed their stance and allowed me to leave with no penalties at all. I also received my deposit back! I was able to freeze my gym contract too with no financial penalties and got a great deal on storing all my belongings in storage. I intend to return to HK in a few months time and find work in a learning centre/kindergarten. This time I'll be sure to check for any unpaid leave clauses in the contract, haha.
    Thanks for all the support in this forum!

Where is your storage? Is it for rent? If it is, how much per month? Thanks.

Quote Originally Posted by HongKong_Great
    Where is your storage? Is it for rent? If it is, how much per month? Thanks.
    Hey! I used Boxful
    Found the whole process very easy - they dropped the boxes off and then picked them up when I requested it.

I got 4 standard boxes which are 49 dollars each per month.
    I had a promotion code which let me get the first month free too.

https://www.boxful.com/en

Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst ... 5 6 7 8