Like Tree17Likes

EDB NET recruited by school directly

Closed Thread
Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Yes, I did and passed the interview 3 years ago but there was an issue with my UK PGDE. I redid it part-time at the Education University (not much good outside HK). Now, two years’ experience in local schools, a plethora of PD courses and a PGDE they will accept, I failed the interview. Do you think it is worth approaching schools ie research the school, tailored letters, CV’s, even hand delivered?

Quote Originally Posted by ChivaJohn:
    Yes, I did and passed the interview 3 years ago but there was an issue with my UK PGDE. I redid it part-time at the Education University (not much good outside HK). Now, two years’ experience in local schools, a plethora of PD courses and a PGDE they will accept, I failed the interview. Do you think it is worth approaching schools ie research the school, tailored letters, CV’s, even hand delivered?
    I think so, yes. Even though there are way more people in the pool and people looking for work than actual positions, I think it is always worth a go applying directly. I know that a fair number of people whose contracts are up this year are leaving (mainly due to riots, with corona being the cherry on top), so you never know!

What's your visa situation? If you can take non-EDB NET work while you apply, then I would say 100 percent apply directly!
    ChivaJohn likes this.

Yes, I did and passed the interview 3 years ago but there was an issue with my UK PGDE. I redid it part-time at the Education University (not much good outside HK). Now, two years’ experience in local schools, a plethora of PD courses and a PGDE they will accept, I failed the interview.
    Sorry to hear. So you passed first time but failed second time. Did the interviewers know you had already passed? Couldn't you have just given the EDB the documents for the new PGCE? I don't understand why you had to do the interview again given that you can get on without a PGDE; only difference as you know is that there's a ceiling for the salary with no teaching license. So I'm confused because in theory you could have gotten job and later once you had the PGDE you could have sent it, or maybe I'm missing something. Anyway, your case certainly seems unique!

Do you think it is worth approaching schools ie research the school, tailored letters, CV’s, even hand delivered?
    Why not just go onto Mingpao etc and look for current openings tailoring the cover letter to school's values/mission and stuff like that?
    ChivaJohn likes this.

You have the same questions as me. I have a few more weeks before I finish the PGDE; I checked if this was ok to apply this year, the EDB said as long as ‘we can check your qualification before July. I provided a predicted grade from the Education University. Before sending the application, I called and told them I’d passed interview three years ago, so do I need to redo the interview, they said, ‘Yes’. At the interview I asked again, they said ‘yes’. Maybe I gave a bad interview or the interviews were harsher but my teaching style is more shaped to HK schools … which makes me not good enough to teach in the West haha. So can only apply directly or wait another year.

Thank you civil_servant. If I were a school, I’d want the EDB to cover the salary – saving school fund/grants to employ additional ones. Do you know of a school that has employed a NET directly (that meets the EDB) and got funding from the EDB?
    I think the EDB only funds one NET per school. Some famous schools want to hire more than that, so they have to pay out of their pocket.
    ChivaJohn and LizMila like this.

Thank you for your help; I'm getting interviews.
    I think, had I got into the EDB pool, I might not have applied for so many directly.

My wife's a NET. Her take, as others have explained, three ways to get a proper EDB NET job:

1. Pass the interview. Get in the pool. School send out your CV to schools and then the schools get in touch.

2. Pass the interview. Get in the pool. Apply to jobs posted by schools directly in classified post or whatever.

3. Get hired despite never having interviewed and not being in the pool. This is you. My wife says it's possible, but that the school have to really want you, as it's extra paperwork and the EDB might resist the appointment (although they can't actually block it). Most schools here prefer the path of least resistance.

Just one account. Take with a pinch of salt.

elmaldito and LizMila like this.

Hey guys mind if I ask a question. Is there a difference in pay between the categories?

For example I qualify for Category 2 PNET and Category 5 SNET. I am hired by a secondary school right now. Is it possible to make nearly the same amount being a Category 5 SNET as I would if I looked for a Category 2 PNET job?

I called and asked the EDB, they did tell me the categories don't matter, it's based on points but I just want to double check with people who are experiencing this dilemma (if anyone beside myself is).

I think the EDB is saying a Category 2 teacher who has 18 points will make the same much as a Category 4 teacher who has 18 points. Maybe the higher the category the easier the points? (I don't completely understand how this works.

Happy Guy likes this.

thanks for the swift reply,
    Yes, the issue was that I hadn't met the TESOL qualification requirement. I've stayed in constant contact with the EDB and am waiting on my 100 hour TESOL to arrive (I completed one online). So far things are looking pretty good.

LizMila likes this.

Ah yes, the one I'm doing now is specifically for the Net Scheme. It falls under the fourth criteria 100 hours + 10 hours of teaching practice. If I knew about this in advance I would've done it back in October of last year.