Like Tree17Likes

EDB NET recruited by school directly

Closed Thread
Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
    https://www.global-english.com/cours...hing-practice/

Here is the Tefl I've taken. I'll hand it in to the EDB once I finish the teaching practice. I've read others have used it so fingers crossed I suppose. I can't afford to do the trinity cert tesol, and this seem to fall under the TEFL requirements from the EDB
    LizMila likes this.

No, I sent the EDB an e-mail and they said as long as it meets 100 hours and include ten hours of teaching practice. I'll update you if it goes well or not. I don't think the requirements for tesol has changed since 2017/2018. As for the SNET, I don't plan on using this TEFL for it. The EDB is working with my school to see what arrangements can be made if any. I mainly want the PNET as it's pretty much what I mastered in university.

LizMila likes this.

Help with applying directly to schools

Hello all,
    Can anyone offer me any advice about how to apply directly to Primary schools. I was not accepted onto the NET scheme because although i have five years teaching experience i didn't do ten hours of in class hours when i completed my TEFL. They said i would have a good shot at a job if i applied directly to schools. Is there a way to find out what schools have vacancies? Or do i just have to google every school and send out my CV? Does anyone have any experience with this?

Thanks very much

https://jump.mingpao.com/job/search/Jobs

Search keywords: NET

best of luck

Hi John, nice to meet you, great question...did u get into the NET pool now? how are things?

Hello to all,

Does anyone know anything about proving that your usual place of residence is outside of Hong Kong? I have been offered an EDB NET position in a secondary school and I live in Australia.

I see my usual place of residence as Melbourne, Australia but I do have family members who live in Hong Kong (parents and a brother). I am an Australia citizen and I have all my financial ties here in Aus, but would my family member being in HK means I won't be eligible for the house allowance? (not that I intend to stay with them, they have their own family and I can't stay with them).

I'm concerned because without the allowance, I might not be able to accept the job given there are financial commitments here in Aus that I need to sustain even if working overseas.

I'd really appreciate if anyone could shed some light on what EDB means by "social ties" to determine your usual place of residence.

Thank you all!

Kind regards,
    Cel

Hi there,

The Special Allowance (not called a Housing Allowance for tax reasons) is available for those who can prove that their social ties are to their home country. This is a really ambiguous term and what they require as proof seems to change from person to person.

I didn't receive the SA initially as they wanted more 'proof'. When I asked what more proof I could provide (I sent in stuff related to my business back in the UK, bills, other bits and bobs), they said that things related to my primary or secondary schooling in the UK would be enough. I then sent them copies of class photos from primary school and GCSE/A Level school reports and that was accepted.

I think if you did your schooling in Oz, even if you have family here, you should be fine. I'm a PR here, married to a local, got married here, have had two kids here, did uni here etc etc etc and I was approved.

Hope this helps!

Thank you for the info, appreciate it. When they asked you for more information at first, was the utility bills etc not enough? I'm the other way round, I had primary school photos in Australia but I did my high school in Hong Kong. Since then, I've returned home to Australia and stayed here for the last 17 years. So I don't have high school photos to prove my ties. From what I can gather, I have:
    1. Primary class photos
    2. Uni photos with mates
    3. Work photos with colleagues
    4. and all the other usuals - house deeds, utility bills, car loan, AUS tax statement etc.

Would that be enough to show that I'm truly from overseas?

The stuff I sent initially was all stuff from when we moved back to the UK from 2017 to 2019, so that included a rental agreement for a house, all the bills for the house, proof of ownership of a business in the UK and all the bills associated with that, proof of my daughters' schooling in the UK.

I only included a couple of things from when I was young as I just didn't have that much stuff. I included my GSCE and A Level certificates and they said that from what I provided, there wasn't proof that I actually studied/grew up in the UK (the 2017-2019 stuff being too recent and they said the certificates in and of themselves were not proof that I actually studied in the UK, just that I took the exams in the UK).

They said proof of study in the UK would be enough, but I didn't think I had anything, so I was a bit worried. I went through the flat and looked everywhere and happened to find my old primary school class photos and GSCE and A Level reports! I didn't even remember having them or bringing them back from the UK, but they were enough to satisfy the EDB, so I would think you have more than enough to show your ties are out of Hong Kong!

Hi, thanks for the info. I'm thinking about taking this course as well, as it seems to meet the requirements as EDB has required. I wonder if you've completed it and how did it go. thanks in advance and wish you all the best