Like Tree8Likes

EDB NET recruited by school directly

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

EDB NET recruited by school directly

Another teacher said that I could become an EDB NET without being in the pool if my qualifications meet the requirements. Reading the FQA, it seems to be the case but don’t know if it is the full package remuneration package, so I called the EDB directly. The one person who answered said I cannot become an EDB NET unless I am in the pool. One person can be wrong but is it the teacher, the person who wrote the FAQ or the woman who answered the phone? Has anyone ever been recruited outside the pool?

It's possible to be recruited by the school. The difference is you'll be on the school's payroll and not the EDB's. The confusion here could be that a NET can refer to just a Native English Teacher or a teacher working for the EDB NET section. Some schools match the contract terms of the EDB, some don't.

Thank you civil_servant. If I were a school, I’d want the EDB to cover the salary – saving school fund/grants to employ additional ones. Do you know of a school that has employed a NET directly (that meets the EDB) and got funding from the EDB?

You can apply directly to schools and still be on the EDB NET scheme, without being in the pool of candidates. As long as you meet the requirements and get your quals assessed, your pay and conditions will be exactly the same as similarly qualified/experienced EDB NET scheme NETs - as long as you are filling the role of an EDB NET. Schools are allowed to hire non-pool candidates, but some don't as the onus is on them to make sure the teacher meets the requirements and they don't want the hassle.

Also, the payroll thing as mentioned above is slightly misleading. If you are taking the EDB NET role, you are employed by the school which hires you and not the EDB, regardless of whether you are in the pool of candidates or not.

ChivaJohn and thespey66 like this.

I am a NET teacher in a primary school employed under a local contract. I was recruited directly by the school. I don't have any form of ' remuneration' package, but the salary is much greater than what I would earn as a classroom teacher in the UK so I'm happy with that. My English panel has about six NET teachers with and we have all been at the school for a number of years.

The positions are out there, if not easy to come by.

Thank you so much civil_servant. Just need to fund such a school,
    Have a great week

Just want to clarify NET and EDB NET (NET-scheme NET) as I think these can get mixed up.

EDB NETs (for primary - PNET and secondary schools - SNET): every non-private/DSS/international etc school is entitled to ONE NET from the EDB. NET-scheme NETs are paid according to their quals and experience on the MPS and are then entitled to benefits (housing allowance, gratuity etc) if they can prove their ties are to their home country. They have to have certain quals and exp to be able to take an EDB NET Scheme role. They are employed by the school. The money comes from the government (the vast majority of schools are funded by the government.) There is a pool of candidates, but you do not need to be in this pool to be employed as an EDB NET-scheme NET. If the school chooses to fill the post (only ONE per school) directly, they can, but they need to do the leg work as it were. Pay and conditions are the same.

Non-NET Scheme NET jobs are NETs employed by any school, but not on the EDB NET scheme. Pay and conditions totally determined by the school - basically zero to do with the EDB. These jobs are obviously much more common and easier to get, but very unlikely you'll get the same benefits as an EDB NET-scheme NET as EDB NET scheme NETs are among the best paid teachers, including the fringe benefits.

As clear as mud!

thespey66 likes this.

I think this is why the person on the phone from the EDB couldn’t clearly answer. Do you know anyone who has been employed as an EDB NET (with the pay) who was not in the pool i.e. when directly to the school?

Yeah, I know a few people who didn't get a job through being in the pool and I know at least one person who failed the EDB interview process, but still managed to get an EDB NET job.

I did the whole interview process and got on the scheme, but I would not have needed to in the end as I was contacted directly by my school - no help from the EDB. Getting past the interview stage and being in the pool just means the school doesn't have to do some of the paper work (e.g qualifications check) as the EDB has done that during their process. And schools may feel more secure getting a NET from the pool as they may see it as a mark of 'quality', but who knows.

In terms of the actual NET, the only difference is the EDB won't be sending out your CV to schools which are looking for a NET-scheme NET and you won't have access to the vacancies list.

thespey66 likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by ChivaJohn
    Thank you civil_servant. If I were a school, I’d want the EDB to cover the salary – saving school fund/grants to employ additional ones. Do you know of a school that has employed a NET directly (that meets the EDB) and got funding from the EDB?
    Why not just apply and see if you can pass the interview?

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast