Like Tree11Likes

Could this be a job offer scam?

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Could this be a job offer scam?

Hi,

I was recently looking to move jobs (I really want to move out of my current company).

I applied to a fintech company (established in 90s, US company, around 200 employees worldwide) and put slightly lower salary expectation than what they normally offer (reason: it was higher than my current salary, and I didn't "fully" meet work experience requirement.)

The job post was in LinkedIn (official company LinkedIn), which led to the company's website once I click "apply now".

Around 4 Hours after applying, I got an email requesting a PHONE interview the next day.
    The interview lasted 35 minutes, but I am a rather fast speaker so let's say it was "worth" 45 minutes conversation.
    I did quite okay--many complicated technical questions were asked, I was able to answer most.
    My academic records is very good (I am in early stage of career so I assume this matters).

2 days later the company emailed again requesting to have another call.
    I thought it would be another interview, but it turned out to be an OFFER via phone.
    They said they will give me slightly (6%) higher salary than what I requested (which is what they normally pay).

Why I am suspicious:
    - getting a full-time job offer only after 1 interview. Especially, it was a phone interview only.
    - company voluntarily giving higher salary than expectation (especially in current situation)
    - I have requested to sign contract in their HK office, but they said Head of HK is not in HK. He said contract needs to be sent first because the HR is in the US.
    - The interviewer said he is based in Australia. The email "signature" says US number.
    - I went to their website and tried to call their Australia number (where the interviewer is based in), but it fails to connect. HK number works well.

Things I have done/confirmed so far:
    - The job was posted in LinkedIn via official company LinkedIn, which has around 200 employees and few years of posting. When I click "apply", it leads to the company's main website career page.
    - I can find the exact same job post in the company's main website when I went via google.
    - The interviewer's email domain (@xxxxx.com) matches their main website support email domain. No other emails were used in between.
    - email "looks" legitimate; grammar was good, signature looks authentic, contract was detailed.
    - My friend knew someone who worked there. I have chatted with him via linkedin and company is legitimate.

The "interviewer" have not asked for any money or whatsoever, only contract and HKID number for the contract.
    Am I being too paranoid that it might be bogus job offer?

In the old days, we only had one interview. In fact, my first job with the US Patent Office I had no interview, just filled out an application.

So it's possible. If they haven't asked for any money, what would the scam be? That they are trying to get you to quit your present job? What's in it for them?

Start-up companies don't have a lot of layers of bureaucracy, one interview would do it (that's all we do at my company).

biffski likes this.

Quote Originally Posted by MABinPengChau:
    If they haven't asked for any money, what would the scam be? That they are trying to get you to quit your present job? What's in it for them?
    Thanks for your reply.

Just worried that, as the date approaches they will request "fees"/personal info.
    I will have to submit my resignation so IN CASE it is a scam, then I will be unemployed, which is my concern.

I tend to have my guards on the whole time, which led me to suspect.
    But yes, I do not want to doubt the potential employer--they are doing a huge favor for me if it is true!
    rkenia852 likes this.

Checked if they're properly registered in hk?

https://www.icris.cr.gov.hk/csci/

MABinPengChau and markranson like this.

Quote Originally Posted by shri:
    Checked if they're properly registered in hk?

https://www.icris.cr.gov.hk/csci/
    Yes I have checked just now and it is properly registered

Trying to not sound like a grandfather for this here part:
    First of all: congrats. If you've got a job offer in this market, it is a good sign. You have choice. A lot of people don't.

So Congratulate yourself and be grateful for choice, freedom and security that a new job will offer.

Anyway, worry at hand:

- You can contact the co and ask to speak to someone that does the same job to understand what their work is like. You could also request to contact the Head of HK for a phone call even though they might not be able to meet in person to get a feel for the culture and allay any concerns you have before signing
    - Sign the contract before you resign
    - Vet any clauses on the contract that you are uncomfortable with
    - Check out the company on glassdoor and what employees say
    - Check out press releases to see the funding, any deals etc.

I am assuming that you do not need employment sponsorship in Hong Kong?

Good luck!
    Last edited by rkenia852; 17-03-2020 at 02:51 PM. Reason: formatting
    markranson likes this.

If its a Fintech company there must be an investor. Seed might be more difficult to identify but if later stage verify legitimacy that way.. Any oher employees on LinkedIn? Google? Google Maps or Earth the AUS and US locations. I can tell you I would not hire you to be a detective or researcher based on what I read so far from your case. So far it seems legit, just disorganzied like most start ups.

Thanks!
    Yes I am PR in Hong Kong so do not need a visa sponsorship.

1. Sure, I will try to request to talk to someone currently in the position.
    2. I have sent a scanned version of the contract, and waiting for them to sign their part and return. I did not resign yet.
    3. clauses on the contract are okay
    4. Actually before interviews I always check glassdoor. They have around 50 reviews that span few year period.
    5. It is not a listed company so cannot see the details. But it owned by a private equity.

Quote Originally Posted by rkenia852:

- You can contact the co and ask to speak to someone that does the same job to understand what their work is like. You could also request to contact the Head of HK for a phone call even though they might not be able to meet in person to get a feel for the culture and allay any concerns you have before signing
    - Sign the contract before you resign
    - Vet any clauses on the contract that you are uncomfortable with
    - Check out the company on glassdoor and what employees say
    - Check out press releases to see the funding, any deals etc.

Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by simpsjk:
    Thanks for your reply.

Just worried that, as the date approaches they will request "fees"/personal info.
    I will have to submit my resignation so IN CASE it is a scam, then I will be unemployed, which is my concern.

I tend to have my guards on the whole time, which led me to suspect.
    But yes, I do not want to doubt the potential employer--they are doing a huge favor for me if it is true!
    Do no resign your current job until you have whatever confirmation you need. Meeting people in the HK office, all documents signed, etc.

If it helps, my friend got a job offer a few weeks ago without having a single in person interview due to the office closures and travel restrictions, from a large multinational. I think he did a few rounds but it was all on phone or videoconference. So things are not working as normal right now!
    biffski likes this.

delete

Last edited by rkenia852; 17-03-2020 at 03:10 PM.

Closed Thread
Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast